Advanced keyless entry add on to sport-cx5

eclypsecl

:
Mazda CX-5 Sport
As I'm gathering parts that I'll be adding while my door panels are off (heated mirror), speakers, I trolled around http://www.mazdapartsunlimited.com/.../2-0l-l4-gas/electrical/electrical-components

The part for keyless/advanced keyless is the same. Hence I think that it's the same part for both keyless and advanced keyless with the button. Transmitter AND receiver parts for Grand Touring trim and sport trim are the same:

KDY3-67-5DY TRANSMITTER 1 (THE KEY)
$123.27 $92.45
KEYLESS/ADVANCED KEYLESS ENTRY

KD45-67-6NXA ANTENNA 1
$32.77 $24.58

KD33-67-5D4 RECEIVER 1
$52.93 $39.70

I'm guessing that since all the wiring should be there, attaching door handles with the little button should be plug and play..no? Unless there's ECU maps..but for some reason I doubt they would remap an ECU just to disable a part cars might not come with.

I'm going to try this since the handles with the button come pre-painted and CHEAP.

As I'm gathering parts that I'll be adding while my door panels are off (heated mirror), speakers, I trolled around http://www.mazdapartsunlimited.com/.../2-0l-l4-gas/electrical/electrical-components

The part for keyless/advanced keyless is the same. Hence I think that it's the same part for both keyless and advanced keyless with the button. Transmitter AND receiver parts for Grand Touring trim and sport trim are the same:

KDY3-67-5DY TRANSMITTER 1 (THE KEY)
$123.27 $92.45

KD45-67-6NXA ANTENNA 1
$32.77 $24.58

KD33-67-5D4 RECEIVER 1
$52.93 $39.70

I'm guessing that since all the wiring should be there, attaching door handles with the little button should be plug and play..no? Unless there's ECU maps..but for some reason I doubt they would remap an ECU just to disable a part cars might not come with.

I'm going to try this since the handles with the button come pre-painted and CHEAP.

Keep us updated. I would love to see if this is possible.

This would be a worthwhile option to add if it works. With my BMW and Altima you don't have to take the fob out of your pocket to unlock the door. That's so much more convenient.

From what I understand (and from the manual), the advanced system has a multiple antenea system that creates the bubble around the car in order for the close proximity fob detection to occure. These are not the same as the antenna/reciever that recieves the fob button unlock signal (which is probably common to all trims), and also diffrent than the antenna/reciever that detects that the fob is inside the car for startup (smaller signal "bubble", also probably common to all trims).

Although I would love for this to work (this, along the HIDs are probably the features I miss the most on the Touring), I have serious doubts...

From what I understand (and from the manual), the advanced system has a multiple antenea system that creates the bubble around the car in order for the close proximity fob detection to occure. These are not the same as the antenna/reciever that recieves the fob button unlock signal (which is probably common to all trims), and also diffrent than the antenna/reciever that detects that the fob is inside the car for startup (smaller signal "bubble", also probably common to all trims).

Although I would love for this to work (this, along the HIDs are probably the features I miss the most on the Touring), I have serious doubts...

I think you're correct. I think the atenna and receiver are the same as what's used INSIDE of the car for keyless start..hence I think there are three such antenna/receivers that need to be purchased. One for the hatch, and two for the doors. I need to figure out their locations first and order up one set for testing. Because the distance is so short these units must be residing in each of the doors or very near them..I'll call the dealership up because I'm not sure where exactly they're mounted.

Based on partnumber searches, there's only one type of keyless detector/receiver for everything.

Last edited:
So looks like 2 door handles, a rear receiver internal and external, beeper module for the front of the car, module (I think it's already installed for the ability to detect internal key).

I think center console and stereo console antennas, and receiver are already installed so as to allow for the car to start without a key. I'm going to take a gamble with getting just the rear hatch receivers and maybe the buzzer for the front.

The only ultra PIA from what I could understand, was removing the door handles. You have to remove the window glass and the door handle is tricky to take out..

I'm interested in this as well. I think you can install all the sensors but how do you program the sensors to recognize your fob instead of other people keyfob if you happen to park next to another CX-5? with the normal keyfob, you press the unlock button so it send a unique code to the control sensor to open the door, with the advance keyless, the sensors have to know you're carry correct the keyfob to open the door when you're close or press on the door handle button so you have to program the sensors to recognize your keyfob. Maybe the dealer can help with this? Let us know how it goes, this is one of the feature I miss with the GT, I don't care much for the leather and auto climate control but hard to justify an extra $3000 just for this feature.

I'm interested in this as well. I think you can install all the sensors but how do you program the sensors to recognize your fob instead of other people keyfob if you happen to park next to another CX-5? with the normal keyfob, you press the unlock button so it send a unique code to the control sensor to open the door, with the advance keyless, the sensors have to know you're carry correct the keyfob to open the door when you're close or press on the door handle button so you have to program the sensors to recognize your keyfob. Maybe the dealer can help with this? Let us know how it goes, this is one of the feature I miss with the GT, I don't care much for the leather and auto climate control but hard to justify an extra $3000 just for this feature.

The receiver is already installed, that's how it recognizes your key when you hit the start button. The antennas do the work of.catching..but I'll see what the service rep says. They're always dicks to me about these questions.

Thanks!

eclypsecl, great information. I am also interested in doing this, so keep us updated on your progress. This seems like a relatively simple install and minimal cost.

Thanks for looking into this and posting your findings here.

I didn't see the actual door handle in your part list, so I found it here:
http://www.mazdapartsunlimited.com/...up=lock-and-hardware&part_name=handle-outside

Not sure if you had a different plan or if I just missed it in your parts list.

Last edited:
The total cost is ridiculous to add this feature versus getting it from the factory. It is literally thousands of dollars and a lot of time. My advice is sell/trade-in and get a GT. It's probably less expensive overall and you'll get a dozen additional GT upgrades.

The total cost is ridiculous to add this feature versus getting it from the factory. It is literally thousands of dollars and a lot of time. My advice is sell/trade-in and get a GT. It's probably less expensive overall and you'll get a dozen additional GT upgrades.

That shouldn't be the case the cost is 2 door handles 60 a piece, a beeper under the hood, and a rear bumper antenna.

I haven't had a chance yet. It's freezing, raining, or snowing in boston so doing this is a giant paint with crap weather. I'm hoping to try it next weekend on the rear bumper.

You also need the LF control module which is only for the advanced keyless entry. Not sure if the wiring is pre-installed or not, but the module is not there in standard setups. You need all five antennas for the system if you want the system to function correctly, 2 of them sense if the keys are in the car so the doors won't lock. All the antennas plug into LF module, not sure if they are prewired. The advanced keyless entry can be enabled/disabled using the M-MDS tool, so my guess is it is disabled and would have to be enabled by a dealer if installed. My guess is at least $500 and that assumes that a dealer would enable the functionality for you.

You also need the LF control module which is only for the advanced keyless entry. Not sure if the wiring is pre-installed or not, but the module is not there in standard setups. You need all five antennas for the system if you want the system to function correctly, 2 of them sense if the keys are in the car so the doors won't lock. All the antennas plug into LF module, not sure if they are prewired. The advanced keyless entry can be enabled/disabled using the M-MDS tool, so my guess is it is disabled and would have to be enabled by a dealer if installed. My guess is at least $500 and that assumes that a dealer would enable the functionality for you.

The lF control module, is different than the receiver.component in rear left quarter of the cargo area? Is there a part number that you know of for it? Or location where it sits. I can troll some junk yards for a junked gt.

The lF control module, is different than the receiver.component in rear left quarter of the cargo area? Is there a part number that you know of for it? Or location where it sits. I can troll some junk yards for a junked gt.

Wait it's that bottom left connector in the driver lower left panel...I'll take a look and see what that looks like.

Back