Back up camera, is it worth upgrading to the 'sport model' with the camera?

cam24

:
CX5
Hello All

Please could someone let me know if they think the backup/rear camera is worth having on the CX5.

I am currently thinking of purchasing a CX5 and want to know if it is worth upgrading to the 'sport model' that has the rear camera here in the UK.
The base model 'SEL' does not have it and after road testing/parking the SEL model at the weekend I wondered if the camera helps with backup/rear parking?
The parking sensors are very good but I guess the camera helps with posts etc that might be in front of a wall.

Unfortunately you can not just add the camera which is the only real extra I would have to the already very well equipped 'SEL' and have to do the full 'sport' upgrade which is quite expensive,
although you are getting some nice but not essential extras,

thanks for any comments...

there is always aftermarket that could be cheaper, but having one is a must considering the lack of visibility when backing up this kind of vehicle

A definate plus feature in my CX5. I din't have it on my CX7 and was constantly parking in spots that I didn't need to back out of.

Keep in mind though that they are often worthless when it rains as water obscures the lens.

A camera is nice, but to me, an audible sensor system is good enough.

A reverse camera tells you what is behind you. A audible system (beeping kind) tells if there is anything behind you without being able to tell you what it is. Probably you don't care to discriminate what you're going to hit, so an audible system would be fine.

I have one on my CX-5 (for the first time ever) and to be perfectly honest, I very rarely look at it, except very occasionally to confirm how close I am to the object behind me, before I put it into park. I back my car every day into a relatively narrow single garage space (which I did for my previous, much wider, Acura MDX's) and I guess I have just gotten used to using my mirrors.

I've only had the CX-5 for a month, so maybe I'll end up using it more as time progresses. I think that I would be just as happy with rear sensors (which aren't a factory option here).

With the big D-pillars and small hatch window, reversing in any complex or busy situation (kids, pedestrian etc) is a pain in this thing. Living in NYC, my driveway is on a busy street with many pedestrians and cars. Its been a year and I am still not entirely comfortable reversing out of my driveway without the camera. Having done the same task in my other cars for many years, I wasn't a believer in back up cameras until I had to experience poor rear visibility like the CX-5's. We can see why so many models of CX-5's come with the camera.

Last edited:
I had a van once that could have used a backup camera. One day I backed into a post that was lower than rear window level and dented the rear door. Wish I had that camera then.

The CX-5 rear camera has a fish eye lens. Nice thing about that is it gives you some left/right vision if you are backing out in a blind spot.

Given the limited visibility in this class of vehicle, I would definitely get the camera.

I agree with SayNoToPistons. I went from the base model sport to the Touring and the backup camera is very useful especially when you are trying to judge distance from the rear bumper to an object behind you. Rain doesn't seem to effect mine.

I like the idea of a backup camera but is it really needed? No. Though it is nice to see if anyone (a child for instance) is right behind you. Back up cams are new, parking isn't. We aren't parking a large pickup or truck here, its a CUV, a breeze to park. I have 25+ years of driving under my belt and can see a person relying too much on a rear camera. Looking in all 3 correctly positioned mirrors and over you're shoulder is far safer over-all.

Do I use the backup cam? Yes, only for an initial view, then I reverse in/out using mirrors and physically looking over my shoulder.

Last edited:
I like the backup camera a lot. I use it. It is aimed so that you can see your own bumper so you really know where you are. If you need or want to put your bumper 2 inches from a wall or the car behind you, you can with complete confidence. The camera is tucked under the hatch handle so it handles rain and snow very well.

Must have? No. Very nice. Yes.

I like the backup camera a lot. I use it. It is aimed so that you can see your own bumper so you really know where you are. If you need or want to put your bumper 2 inches from a wall or the car behind you, you can with complete confidence. The camera is tucked under the hatch handle so it handles rain and snow very well.

Must have? No. Very nice. Yes.

Agreed, very useful and helpful. For me more along the lines of must have, for safety reasons alone.

I tow a caravan and find the camera invaluable when reversing to hitch up. I can get the tow ball right under the hitch.
It is also very helpful when backing up against a wall, using the red line on the screen you always leave sufficient room for the hatch to open.
As previously said, it is not an essential but I would now be reluctant to purchase a car without one.

I previously had a Nissan XTrail with a towbar fitted and was always having to get my wife to help me back into small spaces when parking in a street as the height of the tailgate window was always above the bonnet of any car parked behind.

Not a problem in the CX5 with camera fitted. It does take a bit of getting used to though as the lens distorts theview considerably.

I tow a caravan and find the camera invaluable when reversing to hitch up. I can get the tow ball right under the hitch.
It is also very helpful when backing up against a wall, using the red line on the screen you always leave sufficient room for the hatch to open.
As previously said, it is not an essential but I would now be reluctant to purchase a car without one.

It must be nice to tow a caravan. Here in the US we just get to tow campers and trailers (Grin) BTW did you have one of those European hidden hitches? I wondered if I could get one for my CX-5 but I went the easy rout and got a US style hitch. You guys have access to some great iron over there.

Frank

Had my hitch fitted last week. Chose a detachable hitch and the electrics tuck away when not in use. Very discreet!

I also have a Westfalia. They are not cheap but well worth the money. Totally detachable and you can't tell that you have a hitch when it isn't on car.

NHTSA proposal will have it become mandatory on cars sold in US in 2018.

I never had a backup camera on my 06' impreza, and I upgraded my cx-5 to the GS model in Canada which had the backup camera.
For me it made a world of difference when reverse parking (keep in mind you'd still need to do your shoulder checks and 360 scans), but personally, I could back up to the point of almost touching the wall or parking curb without having to second guess the distance.

So yes, I would go for it :)

Back