CX-5 drivers door excessive wind noise

dnme

:
CX-5
I purchased a new cx-5 here in Ireland in January. It's the platinum spec (that's the high spec in UK/IRL models) with sat-nav. Since purchasing it, I have been plagued with excessive wind noise from the drivers door. It seems to be from the top and rear of the door window but sometimes I think it is also coming from the front of the window.

I have logged complaints with Mazda and my main dealer. They have taken the car in and tried this and that. At one stage they took the car off me for nearly two weeks and gave me a replacement car. They stuck rubber strips u inside the window seals etc to see if that made any difference. It hasn't. One thing I did notice was that the replacement CX-5 also had pretty bad wind noise from the drivers door.

The wind noise usually happens at high speed (80kph +) when there are particular cross winds. Today I went into work and heading southbound on my local motorway, the noise was crazy, like a mini tornado coming from the drivers window area. Going home on the same motorway later (heading in the opposite direction) it was nowhere near as bad. I am not talking about road noise, nor ambient rolling noise. This is wind noise and it sounds as if the door is not closed properly. The noise is intermittent and dependent on prevailing weather / wind. When it's bad, it's truly awful. I paid extra bucks for a high spec car with the Bose sound system but it's a joke with that kinda wind noise. It's as if the door isn't closed properly.

So, I am starting a thread to see if others are experiencing this. Have you tried any fixes? have you been to your dealer and what did they do to resolve the issue ?

I've seen this complaint a few times now, mostly from Brits, though I don't know why. Have you tried using masking tape to tape off various sections of the door shut line in order to isolate where the leak is coming from? By the way, this kind of post belongs in the Lounge and Welcome Area (poorly named!). You'll get more response there.

Yes I get that sort of wind noise, but as I don't use the motorway much other than towing at 60mph, its not a deal breaker for me.

If my usage was mainly motorway I wouldn't be driving any SUV.

Yes I get that sort of wind noise, but as I don't use the motorway much other than towing at 60mph, its not a deal breaker for me.

If my usage was mainly motorway I wouldn't be driving any SUV.
So what have you determined is the cause of this and why does the complaint seem to from drivers of RHD cars?

I think it's just a characteristic of the car, the wind direction plays a major part in what noise the driver hears, speed makes it worst.

On close inspection I don't really consider the Mazda to be as aerodynamic as it could be, although I don't claim to be an expert looking at the back quarter light the frame noticeably protrudes, then the top of the front grill also looks to be going slightly under the hood, the top of the headlights also appear to do the same.

As for the wind noise mine sounds more like from the front screen, again looking at that theres what looks like a water drain between the screen and roof, so not as flush as other cars I've had.

But as I said 90% of my driving is at speeds below 50mph locally.

Last edited:
Crosswinds seem to whistle in this vehicle, in various places. That's fine with me.

For the sunroof:
1. TILT it open fully, to where you can see the seal all the way around. Clean it and make sure it isn't puckered or warped in a weird way.
2. Close it fully. Open and close it fully a few times. Then keep the seal, tracks, and roof cutout rim free of grime.
3. If a defect exists, have fitment adjusted or have seals replaced under warranty.

For the doors:
1. Make sure each is firmly pulled shut before driving. This is a common problem on newer vehicles. If you slam the door or close it too lightly, you might not get a good seal.
2. Keep door seals clean and inspect for warping or figment issues. If a defect exists, have it replaced under warranty.

If you have a luggage rack on top of the car it creates extra noise...

Same as the OP here. My commute is 15% suburbia land, 75% highway and 10% city. The highway portion is sometime very noisy, cross winds is the worst case scenario.
Luggage or moonroof deflector and side windows deflector just add to it.

But the moonroof deflector is nice at highway speed with the moonroof open (wink)

Mines quiet also (even superquiet !!) Also I don`t have a luggage rack on top..........and my speedkills on the road is about 100- 120 Km, about 70 miles.........

Mine is quite loud at highway speeds, cross or no cross winds, no roof rack. Seems to come from the top rear portion of the window/door.

I have not brought it up with the dealer yet.

I experienced exactly the same problem but haven't really experienced cross winds. It just loud anyway at 100 km. Dealer has ordered new seals and hope this will do the trick. Will post results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine had a whistling sound happening after I had brought the car in to fix the mirror shaking.
Seems like they had loosen/broken some of the window seals that made them sound like a tea kettle at speeds higher than 50km/h
They fixed it, and now no more sound.

Those seals and how they are installed on this vehicle, do not look like they are made to last... even the hard black trims between the front and rear windows, and the one in the corner of the a pillar look like they could get pulled off easily.

Last edited:
Speedbegone I also have the drivers door mirror shaking problem at highway speeds. What did they do to fix it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

long story short its not completely fixed...
but they open up the door and add a metal part to solidify the door panel where the mirror is fixed... since the sheet metal is so thin, this measure is apparently needed... but only for the drivers side... witch is the part I never understand because shouldn't the passenger side mirror be shaking if this fixes the problem?

The 2012 and 2013 models have both shaking mirrors........There is an update from Mazda with a metal part that comes bestween the mirror and door-panel...........

Why does the 2014 model don`t have shaking mirrors and others (also 2014) do have that problem ??? I don`t understand..................Is that metal part not factory installed ?

I asked this elsewhere but: can someone describe what they consider to be "shaking mirror"? Mine vibrates a bit (not so it's noticeable when you're looking at the mount, just as you look in the mirror you can see the image is vibrating slightly). Is the expectation that the mirror image would be rock solid? Or is the condition being described more intense than that?

I asked this elsewhere but: can someone describe what they consider to be "shaking mirror"? Mine vibrates a bit (not so it's noticeable when you're looking at the mount, just as you look in the mirror you can see the image is vibrating slightly). Is the expectation that the mirror image would be rock solid? Or is the condition being described more intense than that?
My 2013 is the same as you describe. If I hadn't read about the "problem" here, I might never have noticed it as it's just enough to blur the image slightly at idle (in my case) and I think it has as much to do with the door speaker base feeding into the structure as much as anything else. From what I've seen here, it appears to be worse on some cars; otherwise I can't imagine people raising such a fuss over it.

My 2013 is the same as you describe. If I hadn't read about the "problem" here, I might never have noticed it as it's just enough to blur the image slightly at idle (in my case) and I think it has as much to do with the door speaker base feeding into the structure as much as anything else. From what I've seen here, it appears to be worse on some cars; otherwise I can't imagine people raising such a fuss over it.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. In my case a slight vibration in the mirror doesn't interfere with my ability to evaluate traffic behind me, and as you say, if I hadn't read about it I probably would never have noticed it. I'm assuming that some people (maybe pre-14?) had something a bit more violent going on.

Back