Gizmo so you camp / sleep in your CX-5 and secure dog kennel without bungis

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
Made this gizmo out of 4x8 sheet of 15/32 plywood. Three pieces of wood are attached with door hinges. So far got $30 in it.

I had two problems this gizmo fixes:

First, I have a dog kennel that takes up the whole rear since only way to secure it is with bungi cords to the four tie down loops. With this folded up in rear I can bolt kennel to the side on the gizmo so I can use rest of space efficiently.

Second reason is for car camping. There is exactly six feet of room in back of CX-5 when you pull passenger seat all the way forward, but there are two problems. First, there is a one foot hole between folded rear seat and front passenger seat where you put your head. This gizmo extends that last foot so you can lie your head down. Second, the rear area is 1.5" lower than rest of flat area. By putting a couple of pieces of 2x2 under gizmo in the rear area it becomes completely flat. A thermarest camping mattress fits perfectly.

Its looks ugly, but plan to cover it in black felt soon. Thought I'd show pics before covering it because it would be hard to see with black felt.

Now I have extra space in the rear and can go car camping in comfort. I go to astronomy events that often times won't let you set up a tent, but will let you sleep in your vehicle. Works for me.
SleepCX5_800_zps5a264a90.jpg

This is excellent! I've been pondering something similar for a few months now. Thanks for working out all the complicated bits!

When I build mine, I'll likely put down some industrial carpet, maybe with some underlayment. That'll be enough padding for my thin Japanese-style futon to be quite comfortable.

Astronomy? What a nerd! Kidding, that is a good idea for hauling stuff too.

You can park a car there but not have a tent? Strange.

I read the cx5 rear seats slide down to be level. Never tried it. Is yours a 13 or 14?

You can park a car there but not have a tent? Strange.

I read the cx5 rear seats slide down to be level. Never tried it. Is yours a 13 or 14?

Mine is a 2014.5 Touring. In a pinch you could sleep in CX-5 without this gizmo and just a camping mattress. You would have to put your head on center console so not so comfy.

Astronomy groups often meet at state parks but pick open field to observe. State parks have rules such that only place you can sleep are in official campsites, so you can't pitch a tent near telescopes.

Maybe a little nerdy, but lots of interesting folks attend astronomy club camp outs.

Yea I suppose light from campfires would mess it up. About the only stars we see around Chicago are United's flight #327 from Dallas.

Sounds like fun. My good buddy builds his own telescopes (hand grinds and polishes the lenses). His latest was a 12" lens - I thought I could see Saturn's rings when he showed me Saturn through that one last fall, and this was in the city with lights. The frame was shaking a bit, because he had it setup on his 8th floor condo balcony haha but it was crazy!

Near Flagstaff, AZ, there's an Inn/B&B called A Shooting Star. Owner Tom Taylor, an amateur astronomer, has a 14" refracting telescope on site. Rings of Saturn... no problemo.

Sounds like fun. My good buddy builds his own telescopes (hand grinds and polishes the lenses). His latest was a 12" lens - I thought I could see Saturn's rings when he showed me Saturn through that one last fall, and this was in the city with lights.

You can see the rings of Saturn with a cheap pair of binoculars (although the view is better through quality binoculars).

The universe we all live in is stupendously amazing and mind-blowing. If looking at it with optical aids is geeky, then I completely do not understand anyone who is not geeky.

Astronomy groups often meet at state parks but pick open field to observe. State parks have rules such that only place you can sleep are in official campsites, so you can't pitch a tent near telescopes.

Maybe a little nerdy, but lots of interesting folks attend astronomy club camp outs.

Post some pics that you have taken at these club meets.

Here are a few pics.
attachment.php

M82 Galaxy
attachment.php

Comet Lovejoy Q2
attachment.php

Attachments

• dss_oct09.jpg
    dss_oct09.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,616
  • M82capture.jpg
    M82capture.jpg