Aftermarket Remote Start Questions

mentalcase

:
Meteor Gray 2014 Touring CX-5
So I've had a remote start in nearly every car I've had since 2005 and am starting to plan out what I need to get this done in my 2014 touring. I thought about just getting the OE RS but it's price tag and terrible range would leave me feeling ripped off. So the aftermarket search begins. I've always been a fan of Directed products and their alarms/remote starts have never let me down. I'm leaning towards this one http://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4205v/viper-value-2-way-remote-start-system, but may jump on one of the Smart start system instead. Besides that I have some questions.

1. Can we program the keyfobs? I found one on ebay for $100 and can remember programing an extra physical transponder key for my 2007 mazda 3, but I can't seem to find any info on the programing steps. Seems like the dealer would likely rip me off if I needed them to program. Unless they have a RS system that does not require a fob.

2. Security.Security.Security. I was quiet shocked last night when I started my car then brought the FOB to my kitchen and went for a drive around the corner. I know the OE RS turns the engine off when you open the door, but what is in place to prevent someone from driving away in my car with an aftermarket kit?

You know if Mazda made the OE RS where you only needed one key I would probably over look the range and price, but if I have to carry an extra fob anyway I'm going to go to a larger range and cheaper price.

Back