Lower grill fragile

Z0RrO

:
Mazda, CX-5, GS
Just notice that my lower grill is already broke. I did not hit anything. Is your lower grill broken ? IMG_20140223_133903.jpg

Nope. If you didnt hit anything it may be from cold and stress

Or a defect in manufacturing... warranty ought to cover it since theres no obvious impact damage. Although its possible someone backed into you maybe?

You mean no sign aside from the broken grille......?

I'm gonna have to agree - it looks like someone bumped into you on a cold day when the plastic is extra brittle. The plastic would break easier in tension due to the cold (it'd be stronger in compression) and an imposed force would fracture the grill opposite from the point of contact. I'm guessing it was very cold and the bump was just a tap - the colder the temperature the less force it would take to fracture the plastic.

Dealer service will look for any subtle signs of impact and chances are they will find something. If none, they should replace.

I saw this happen on a Jeep Liberty grill, no visible signs of impact, the grill was replace under warranty.

I'd definitely try to get it repaired if you're under warranty - I was just expressing my opinion of what might have happened. The only opinion that really matters is the dealer's. If you never parallel park and always back into parking spaces (where your front is sticking out) and haven't bumped anybody while driving, then there is no way that you could have had contact on that bumper, right?

Totally agree! When I went for my service, I mentioned this issue to the dealer and said he will be in touch with Mazda Canada. While waiting at the dealer, there was another CX-5 owner with the SAME issue and also claiming he never bumped anything. A week later, the dealer contacted me and said that Mazda Canada will not repair/replace the bumper.

Interesting. I saw your post, and figured I'd check my CX-5. Sure enough, mine is cracked, as well. It probably is from contact with snow while driving through deep snow, as that's the only thing that would have touched my front bumper. I haven't had any front end bumps with other cars, and I park my car in a garage. Seems like a poor design and material choice, with no substantial support for even a light load on the front causing the bumper piece to bend and straining the back side, especially in the very cold conditions that make the plastic very brittle.

I'm not surprised they aren't willing to cover it under warranty, although I think the problem is a design and material flaw, which is Mazda's responsibility.

Let's see if Mazda changes it's position on matter later. (and/or makes a subtle design change to part)...

ZORro - Save your receipt from dealership which should indicate they declined warranty claim. I assume they made no mention of observing signs of actual impact. Maybe later Mazda will recognize the problem associated with a production run/batch of grills and honor claim later, tbd.

I also park in my underground garage. Is it crack at the same place ?

I wonder if it could be a fractured from the sudden temperature change of a car in a heated or warmer garage to the wind chill of driving in winter conditions. Perhaps for those who haven't had their grill cracked and park in a garage, a plastic lubricant or grease should be put on the lower grill to prevent the salt from drying the plastic out and the thermal shrinkage cracking the grill?

Back