CX-5 Vibration at certain speeds

karbuff

:
Mazda Sonic Silver-2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Tech Package
Hi everyone ..new here, got a quick question. I have the CX-5 2014.5 GT with tech package AT AWD I've noticed a vibration at speeds between 32 MPH and 40 MPH...and only at those speeds, is this normal? I also tested a Mazda 6, and it did it also, but at 40 MPH only, anyone else experience this. I had a 2014 touring that also did it around the same speeds on smooth highways, and all the time. The whole car jiggles me around, could it be the suspension? Or just the nature of the beast???
P.S. i traded up to the GT, as it had options i wanted, but I love the CX-5's ...so cool! It's Liquid silver...I named it 'silver2' :) Thanks.

Normally a vibration felt only at certain speeds indicates the wheels need balancing. But since you experience this on every Mazda you drive, I would say it is something about the way you drive. Is the car in 'D' only, or are you manually shifting gears?

Could be the transmission shifted into higher gear to save fuel.
Did you try manual mode to keep it in lower gear & see if it still vibrates?

Been driving cars since the 60's (automatics) in 'D' --GM, Hondas, etc ..none of those cars ever had the problem I described. I'm new to Mazda's --bought my first one last May 2013.
All were brand new with less then a few miles on them. The touring I traded in I put 600 miles on it before trading up to the Grand Touring, over all the GT rides better then the touring..except at mentioned speed. Driving was done in 'clear weather'. Mentioned it to my salesman and the service department ... who had no answers. I feel like a bobble head at those speeds, other then that, the car is fine at all other speeds. It's AWD but the Mazda 6 i tested was front wheel drive. My previous 2005 Honda Pilot, was smooth as glass.

I always assume that up to 40 mph or so, what you're describing would most likely be attributable to alignment. Higher than that (usually around 60mph), I would suspect wheel balance.

Alignment will not cause vibrations, unless it is so incredibly far toed in/out that the tires are skipping across the pavement, and in that case you would feel it at every speed.

Are you driving on the same sections of the road with both the cx5 and mazda6 when you feel this vibration? Or is it on all roads at those speeds?

Could the cx5/mazda6 be the most sportiest/stiffest suspension cars that you've driven so far? Maybe it's the stiffer suspension that is exposing the road imperfections that the other cars haven't?

Could you describe the vibration more? Is it the whole car? or is it only something you only feel through the steering wheel, or does it feel like an engine vibration?

The 'whole car' rocks and rolls, being driven on smooth roads. The (Mazda 6 was driven as a test drive comparison before I bought this GT), so it did it also. Mine starts vibrating at 30 mph, the 6 didn't until it got to 40/42 mph. My whole car rocks and rolls from side to side and up and down--seems like a suspension issue. Has anyone else had this problem with the 2014 or 2014.5, cx-5 touring or Grand touring or 2014 Mazda6?
It might be the sport suspension, but why only at that speed? Bought the touring last May -and traded it in on the GT with tech package, Jan. of 2014. Other then that, speed/ride is fine up to and including 70 MPH.
Checked with my dealer/ service...no TSB on it --so I guess I just may have to live with it. My driver side mirror vibrates at high speeds..but so did my touring, TSB fixed that, and parts will be installed when I go back in June for my 1st oil change for the 2014.5 GT.
Current car has 170 miles on it now, my touring had over 600 and both had same symptoms- same speed range. No handeling problems, pulling or steering.
Yes it has AWD --as did my touring,,,but the Mazda 6 is totally FWD -that's why I tested it. If Mazda ever comes out with a hatchback Mazda 6 with AWD...it may be my next purchase in the future. Have their been any suspension upgrades or mods to the 2013, 2014 CX-5 touring or GT's?

I have a feeling it could be the stiff/sporty suspension emphasizing the details of what seemed like a smooth road. A honda pilot's suspension rides a lot smoother and softer than what the cx5 or mazda6 would, so the effect wasn't enough to notice.

The differences in speeds could be attributed to the differences in wheel bases of the cx5(106") and mazda6 (111").

The fact that all 3 mazda's that you drove had the same effect tell me that nothing is wrong with the suspension.

Just yesterday I got to ride in my buddy's lowered WRX. That thing's suspension was the stiffest thing I've ever ridden in. I was bouncing around in the seat on roads I never considered bumpy.

Last edited:
OK thanks...guess I'll just keep bouncing along then... :) I posted a few pics on my website on here, of the GT.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/member.php?132809-karbuff

I was looking at your pictures of your CX5, and was wondering why your gear shifter looks different. I also have a 2014 CX5 GT AWD

Yours is:
attachment.php

Mine looks like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-Mazda-CX-5-cockpit.jpg
    2013-Mazda-CX-5-cockpit.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 12,779
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,701
Stiff suspension and tire sidewalls. These also contribute to the fun driving dynamics.

Yeah, my 2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD was made in December 2013, and now includes the new 'boot' straight (non gated) automatic shift pattern.
Bought it January 17th 2014, got it before it was ever advertised 'in stock' at my dealership.

My touring I traded in had the gated shifter for the 2014 model.

Last edited:
Not checked anything yet,,,been to cold here. Car only has 100 miles on it, the Mazda 6 i tested before buying this GT had 3 miles on it. Are tire pressures on all the Mazda that critical they must be checked often? No indication from TPS of any pressure abnormalities. I understand they are shipped with 40 PSI on boat, to keep from going 'flat spots' on them. Once the weather gets a tad warmer I will check all 4 tires just in case. Thanks for the tip!.

P.S. I'm averaging over 26 MPG so far, not filled up yet.
Compared to my old 2005 Honda Pilot getting 9-10 MPH --I'm a 'happy camper'.

Last edited:
Just FYI, they're shipped with closer to 50psi for the reason you state. Used to drive the Miata community crazy that half the cars delivered by sloppy dealerships rode like buckboards till new owner lowered the pressures to 30.

Another idea would be to rotate the tires, to see if the vibration changes/moves. I had an MX-6 with a bad tire (out of round?) once that I was finally able to isolate that way.

Back