CX-5 brake pedal excessive travel

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
Had my 2014.5 CX-5 a week now. I've noticed the brake pedal has a lot of travel and feels spongy. In other cars that would be a sign of air in the brake lines and a brake bleed would fix it. Took it to the dealer and they test drove it and said they all are like that. Supposedly they bled the brakes, but its still the same.

If I push on the brakes at a stop light, the brake pedal will travel an additional 1.5 inches and brake pedal is actually lower than accelerator. This is dangerous if one did an emergency stop and would wind up pressing the accelerator and the brake at the same time if your foot is not centered on the brake.

My total brake pedal travel is 2-3".
Has anyone else noticed excessive brake pedal travel?

found this on the subject

"The CX-5s brake pedal also came in for universal praise, responding more to pressure than travel and offering feedback the others lacked."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-mazda-cx-5-grand-touring-awd-page-4

But, like you, I also feel there is a little more travel than I would like, but coming from a speed 3, I just figured it was normal for a suv to have a little less responsive brakes.

I sometimes get caught braking a little too late because of this.

I will have it checked also, to see what the dealer says

If it turns out all CX-5s have mushy long travel brake pedal, I know a solution. The rubber hoses that connect to the brake calipers could be replaced with braided steel hoses to reduce ballooning. Haven't got that far yet. Will try to bleed my brakes myself first. It feels like air in the lines.

Yes i also have the same problems. Well this is my first mazda. so this is normal for a new car that the brakes are not very responsive ???

I also feel this and the travel & feel is different than my CX7. However; the brakes modulate very well. Ed

If it turns out all CX-5s have mushy long travel brake pedal, I know a solution. The rubber hoses that connect to the brake calipers could be replaced with braided steel hoses to reduce ballooning. Haven't got that far yet. Will try to bleed my brakes myself first. It feels like air in the lines.

Never heard of ballooning brake lines but maybe, I guess?

If you bleed them yourself, you might need to pull the ABS fuse before doing so, check the service manual if you have one. I do this on my Isuzu now. Don't let the level get too low to get air in the master chamber.

It all makes sense now...

source : http://www.mazdia.com/macont-91.html

Brake Assist

During emergency braking situations when it is necessary to depress the brake pedal with greater force, the brake assist system provides braking assistance, thus enhancing braking performance.

When the brake pedal is depressed hard or depressed more quickly, the brakes apply more firmly.

NOTE

When the brake pedal is depressed hard or depressed more quickly, the pedal will feel softer but the brakes will apply more firmly.

This is a normal effect of the brake assist operation and does not indicate a malfunction.
When the brake pedal is depressed hard or depressed more quickly, a motor/pump operation noise may be heard. This is a normal effect of the brake assist and does not indicate a malfunction.
The brake assist equipment does not supersede the functionality of the vehicle's main braking system.

Mmm, I have a 2012 Mazda5 (similar to 3) and a 2014 CX5 (second one now) and I feel the brake pedal and feel is fantastic. In comparison the Mazda 5 is more mushy and slow to react but still good.

Replacing them with SS hoses won't do anything. This is a common theory among newbies at track events and many folks do have them. Heck, I have SS hoses on my track car. They look nice. They don't offer any performance advantage over new OEM hoses. The SS hoses are not really SS hoses. They are teflon or rubber hoses with a SS braid around them. Some are encased in a clear plastic to protect the braid.

I took notice of mine on the way to work today and mine travels less than an inch before they engage and are very easy to modulate. If yours brake pedal really does travel 3" before engaging than you might have a real problem.

Replacing them with SS hoses won't do anything. This is a common theory among newbies at track events and many folks do have them. Heck, I have SS hoses on my track car. They look nice. They don't offer any performance advantage over new OEM hoses. The SS hoses are not really SS hoses. They are teflon or rubber hoses with a SS braid around them. Some are encased in a clear plastic to protect the braid.

This.

Most are cheap crimped on hose ends which often rupture when you least want them to. Some may be due to friction between the braid and the teflon lining. I've had two sets of StopTech rupture on me. Using Racing Brake lines now which are better constructed.

The only reason why rubber lines would swell up is because of rigorous use. I don't care what type of tire and brake pad combo you have On your CX-5 and what street driving you do with a CX-5. It won't justify SS brake lines. Why do I use SS brake lines in my RX-8 then? I track it. Why does it make a difference? Two reasons. One being that its almost a guarantee that my lines are checked before and after sessions during wheel/tire swaps. Why is this important? Since the lines are teflon and braided as stated by CXVille, it is harder to see damage compared to rubber lines. The second reason should be obvious.

The CX-5's brakes may have a slightly longer travel and a bit soft (not spongy). Though it definitely has enough feel and linear progression in braking. If you think they are too soft, you can bleed them (properly) and see if that helps.

Has anybody had any success bleeding or changing pad compounds? The manual drum brakes on my '71 C10 work better.

Has anybody had any success bleeding or changing pad compounds? The manual drum brakes on my '71 C10 work better.

I wouldn't change pad compounds, everyone appreciates the brakes on the CX-5.

If you have air in your brake system, it needs to be bled - but that's obvious.

I do this when my brake pedal starts to travel. Find an empty street or secluded area. Put it in reverse. Get some speed then brake moderately. Do this a few times. Also try and go in reverse with gas and brake at same time. Use to do this with rear drums to adjust. With 4 wheel disk its just called bedding the brakes. Not sure, don't care, just know that when I am done. The brakes react to my soft touch again.
Worth a try.

My CX-5 (now at 300 miles on the ODO) has excellent, responsive braking, reminding me most of the BMW brakes we have had in the past. Engagement is quick and easy to modulate.

Within 3000 miles, I lubed all caliper slide pins, and gravity bled each caliper, my pedal travels 1/4" or less with full braking force. A huge difference before servicing.

Back