Help: Car won't start even though battery is fine/problem with electronic key?

jschwa

:
2011 CX9 GT AWD
I am hoping someone on the forum can help, because I can't figure out what is going on with my car. I think there is a problem with the electronic key, but am not sure and now the car won't start. Here is the problem:

1. I have the electronic key FOB (don't need to insert in the ignition and should detect presence wirelessly) on a 2011 Mazda CX9

2. When I was stopped at my spot I went out to check my parking job and then came back into the car to turn the car off. When I turned it off, it didn't seem like the ignition knob turned all the way into the off position.

3. Now the when I turn the ignition the lights come on, but the car won't start up again (engine makes no noise). The car battery is fine (lights work, horn works). The battery on the key seems to be ok since the red light blinks.

4. When I exit the car and close the door, the car beeps 6 times and the KEY indicator flashes red.

5. When I open the car door again, the car just beeps until I close the door.

6. The alternative electronic key and manual keys don't work either to lock/unlock or start car.

I am hoping someone has some ideas. Seems like the car didn't detect the key in my pocket or something when I turned off the car and now I am not sure how to get it to reset. Thanks!

Dealer is telling me just to have it towed in for service which seems like a big pain, so I am hoping other people might have some ideas. Thanks!

Dealer is telling me just to have it towed in for service which seems like a big pain, so I am hoping other people might have some ideas. Thanks!

Try this first. Even though it won't start you should be able to unlock the gear lever, put the car into neutral and try to start, then put into park and try to start. The transmission sensor my think the car is not in park and it will not start.

Also try starting the car with the actual key. This has happened to me on the speed6, your key fob battery might be dying and the car is not picking it up.

update: reading fail, just saw that the key did not work

Sounds like the car shift is not in PARK completely. I've had similar in my 08 CX-9. Or maybe it doesn't think it's in PARK completely.

Try the manual key.

Sounds like the car shift is not in PARK completely. I've had similar in my 08 CX-9. Or maybe it doesn't think it's in PARK completely.

I agree with this--if your car is in gear, you will (1) not be able to turn the ignition know all the way to off, and (2) will not be able to start the car.

You guys are awesome! I think the car hadn't totally "clicked" into Park and when I shifted into neutral and back everything started working. Thanks so much for all the help!!

Back