Seat Extremely Uncomfortable (2013 CX-5 Sport)

:
2013 CX-5 Sport Manual
Folks,
I have been trying to adjust as many were advising and its been 30k miles and I hate the drivers seat (2013 Sport). It is so bad that my posture get screwed, I have neck and back pain. I think I finally found out what's exactly wrong with it:

The bucket back is too narrow and it curves way too much close to the middle. As a result my scapulas bent forward. I have a Honda Civic Si that has real bucket seats and they are much much wider and more comfortable.

What I think I need is a stripe of padding only for the middle, not curved, section of the back which would push my back forward and release the pressure from the scapulas.

Has anyone experience this problem and found an elegant solution to this? I am 170 lbs, 5'11"

P.S. Not to mention the ridiculous headrest that bends your neck forward - extremely stupid and cheap way to bring safety stars up

Last edited:
I would love to figure out a way to rotate that damned headrest back about an inch. I've studied it a couple of times, but haven't come up with a way to do that.

I'm 6'0 195 lbs have no problem with my seats (I have leather) after about 25K miles still feel comfy to me.

I have fabric seats in my touring and did not like them much but, but, I got used to them, I think they are OK. The bolsters are too high for my preference though. These are the kind of things a good test drive before purchasing revels.:)

For me the fabric Touring seats are fine. I drive 30 mins each way to work 5 days a week and have never noticed any discomfort at all. Perhaps those with a longer drive are the ones who are getting uncomfortable?

EDIT: I am 5'10", 168 lbs.

I often do 3 hour trips between Quebec City and Montreal. My Touring seats are fine and comfy, in fact, sides could be closer and deeper in tight curves. I'm quite tall and on the thin side though. I think body shape has more to do than anything else here.

Oh please, I really love my CX-5 simply because I use it as a work truck and it saves me lots of gas. But driving position ? Have you noticed how your right knee hits the side panel of the central compartment ? I am 170 lbs and 5'11". I don't know how typical American guy can fit in this car.

Back to the topic, guys with the Touring and up - can you please measure the flat wight of the back rest? E.g. the central part between the beginnings of the side curves.

Perhaps my 2013 Sport has smaller seats?

Last edited:
Yes, they had a GT in the Edmunds long-term test.

I have a sport and added leather seats. After a 5 hour drive I did notice that my back hurt a lot more than when I drove nissan cars. But the knee pain was new to me. I had to lower the seat slightly to get the right angle for my knees to stop hurting. Right side panel is way too close to the gas pedal. I'm only 5 7 and lean, but that panel is too in the way and my leg keeps rubbing on it.

It's pretty easy to remove the fabric over the seat cushion back and add some padding to the seat. I good upholstery shop could do that at a small cost. If you do it yourself you'll need some hog rings and hog ring pliers to put them back on. I watched a youtube video for adding seat heaters to my Mazda5 and successfully did it myself. I was surprised on how easy it was.

For me it's not the seat back, but the seat bottom. I'm used to having the front of the cushion higher so my bottom is quite a bit lower. No way to get this right on a long drive. I may and up machining some riser blocks to put under the front seat mounts (yes, I understand the risks) and get some seat covers that will allow me to extend the front of the cushion with some foam to get more thigh and knee support. For the OP- there are lots of seat cushions you could try before modifying your seats. Maybe a trip to the fabric store to get some upholstery foam in different thicknesses and cut some different shapes to try first?

Thanks for the tips V8toilet and deuxdiesel.
I think what I need is a slim wooden beads pad, the only problem is all of them I found are too wide and I don't want them to cover the side supports.
Any one has an idea where can I find in the US different sizes wood beads pads/rugs? It doesn't need to be designed for car seat.

Do you guys have the power seat?

I move my seat up-down, move my steering column and get very comfortable...I'm 5'9.

Now, f you have a very wide butt, I could see the gas side bolster setting under your thigh (to give you the angle to the pedal)...and that might not be comfortable

I don't have power seats and I don't have wide butt. I consider my self skinny (W32 pants) nor I have big back or something. But when I sit properly, (read back is actually touching fully the back rest, which is how it should be) and not like the getto style with 2 feet of air between your shoulders and seat, the sides of the seat bend my scapulas forward.

When I looked at the CX5 I could detect a big difference in comfort between the cloth Sport versus cloth Touring seats. Maybe take an extended sit/drive in a Touring and see if it's more agreeable?

The seats on the Sport have different cloth, perhaps they have different construction? If you love the car otherwise, consider having a local car seat upholstery guy custom making you a seat...you could have the headrest made to order, the back or butt foam changed too...it would cost a pretty penny...

Have you tried radically different seat position? MY chiropractor tells me to use way more seat angle...I hate it, feels like a low rider...

Another thing...do you work out? Any swimming or anti-gravity work? Perhaps focus on some core/back muscle routine...ones with yoga balls and off center muscle work/balance...core work will help tighten your back and stomache and may alleviate some back pain over the long haul...just sitting in a seat shouldn't hurt that much...

Back