Took delivery of 2014 CX-5, a couple of questions

Hello folks,

Got the GT fully loaded in soul read, beautiful CUV!

Couple of questions:

1) Is it normal for the windshield wipers and the turn lights, headlights levers not been illuminated? Is the first car I drive that don't illuminate them at night. I have tried running with the automatic lights setting and with the headlights on. The dashboard, instrument clusters, gauges and steering wheel controls are illuminated, but the levers are not so it is hard to see when it's dark. I know eventually I will learn the positions and won't need to look at them, but just wondering if this is by default or if there is something wrong with my CX-5 (bad fuse or something like that).

2) Are there any interior lights or electrical systems I should be concerned when getting out of the car that could drain the battery? I had a Honda accord that multiple occasions left me stranded because I forgot to turn off once of the map lights and also when I forgot to turn the headlights off. I have heard that the CX-5 heated seats will drain the battery and won't automatically shutdown after you lock the car. Is that true? How about the interior lights and other stuff?

Many thanks!

1) It's like that. No illumination on those. None of the cars I've owned in the past had illuminated switches.

2) Not too sure....

I have accidentally hit the dome light switch on several occasions when putting my sunglasses back in the holder. Luckily I have always noticed it before the battery drained though.

Also, the front (and the far back, I believe) cigarette lighter type power ports are always on, so if you leave something charging or running off those for a long time it could be an issue.

Hello folks,

1) Is it normal for the windshield wipers and the turn lights, headlights levers not been illuminated? Is the first car I drive that don't illuminate them at night. I have tried running with the automatic lights setting and with the headlights on. The dashboard, instrument clusters, gauges and steering wheel controls are illuminated, but the levers are not so it is hard to see when it's dark. I know eventually I will learn the positions and won't need to look at them, but just wondering if this is by default or if there is something wrong with my CX-5 (bad fuse or something like that).

It's normal, even for premium cars to not have lit stalks/levers.

Although many German cars such as Mercedes have a dial control on dash for controlling the lights (not stalk mounted) and it's lit.

Also, the front (and the far back, I believe) cigarette lighter type power ports are always on, so if you leave something charging or running off those for a long time it could be an issue.

I don't think the front 12V power outlet is directly connected to the battery. I know this as I have a dual USB with an LED and it turns off when the car is off. Haven't tested the other 2 12V power outlets yet, I'm sure they will be the same. The RAM 1500 I had had 1 of each type of power source. It was noted on the cap that one was direct and the other needed the engine on to supply power.

*edit, page 5-114 of the 2014 CX-5 CDN manual says the front needs the ignition On to supply power. The centre and rear outlets are always On regardless if ignition is on or off. Like I mentioned, the RAM showed a battery icon on the cap, so does the CX-5 :)

Last edited:
Yes, per the model year 2013 CX-5 manual:

Front (the socket under the climate controls)
The ignition must be switched to ACC or
ON.

Center (console), Rear
The accessory sockets can be used
regardless of whether the ignition is on or
off.

Last edited:
This is good info as when I go camping I'll know to unplug anything connected to center and rear outlets. They usually charge the 2x 3DS units for the kids and a portable power supply while driving to camp :)

Thanks all for your quick replies.

The no lever illumination is not a big deal, don't agree with the part that this is a feature only found in luxury cars, my Honda accord had it and also a Subaru.

I will be careful with those sockets. Tomorrow I will leave the maps lights on to see what happens after locking the car.

So far I love the car, I have not had any of the issues mentioned in this forum: no hood shaking/vibration (I have driven up to 85 MPH and can't notice anything).

I notice a very slight side mirror vibration, but only on speeds close to 70, it is not really annoying to me, we all have different tolerenace levels for this thing and I understand how some of you super-OCD would want to bring this to the dealer. Mine is a 2014.5 model, some say the issues were resolved in this version, however, according to this forum, there are people that have 2014.5 and are still seeing the problems, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

I love the breaks of this thing, very responsive, I live the zoom zoom noise, I just want to end up with the break-in period soon to test the acceleration without any limits.

So far no complains with the navigation system, I found it even better than my 2014 428i bimmer iDrive. The tomtom has been taking me to all the places pretty accurately.

Thanks!

I don't think the front 12V power outlet is directly connected to the battery. I know this as I have a dual USB with an LED and it turns off when the car is off. Haven't tested the other 2 12V power outlets yet, I'm sure they will be the same. The RAM 1500 I had had 1 of each type of power source. It was noted on the cap that one was direct and the other needed the engine on to supply power.

*edit, page 5-114 of the 2014 CX-5 CDN manual says the front needs the ignition On to supply power. The centre and rear outlets are always On regardless if ignition is on or off. Like I mentioned, the RAM showed a battery icon on the cap, so does the CX-5 :)

Yes, per the model year 2013 CX-5 manual:

Front (the socket under the climate controls)
The ignition must be switched to ACC or
ON.

Center (console), Rear
The accessory sockets can be used
regardless of whether the ignition is on or
off.
Correct. Thanks

I've had my 2014.5 CX-5 a few days now and noticed the same thing. Zero hood shake, but slight driver side mirror shake. Guess they resolved the hood shake, but still some mirror shake. My average mpg has slowly risen on my first tank of gas from 22mpg to 24.5mpg. No freeway driving yet. Woot! Amazing it gets same city mpg as my 2007 Civic.

Congrats on your car CC58! I am getting 25.3 with mixed highway/city driving. The car is three days old still with 75% of my first tank of gas. Yeah, gas mileage one of the many reasons I bought this car! Oh, and love the blind spot detection system, very good, specially when there are small/low cars on my side, since the CX-5 is taller sometimes is hard to see smaller cars when changing lanes, the blind spot departure thingies has helped me a lot!

My CX5 has a November 2013 production date a I don't have any hood shake, but do have the driver's side mirror shake.

My CX5 has a November 2013 production date a I don't have any hood shake, but do have the driver's side mirror shake.

Hood Shake TSB was updated for all CX-5 produced before Sep. 2013.
Anything after that has been fixed during build.

Back