Bumper damage, how to fix?

philzzz

:
Mazda CX-5 GS AWD 2014
My girlfriend has damage the rear bumper of the CX-5 by hiting a snow/ice wall at very low speed.

There is 2 small crack

What do you guys recommend to fix this and avoid that the crack get bigger? any kind of sealant i could use?

nfrRbGU.jpg

Epoxy (2 part) the inside to prevent it from spreading. If you want a true fix, it will have to be replaced or epoxied, then bondo's, and painted...

Epoxy (2 part) the inside to prevent it from spreading. If you want a true fix, it will have to be replaced or epoxied, then bondo's, and painted...

so basicly i would have to remove the bumper to get epoxy inside?

Not really looking for a true fix because that sound very expensive for relative minor damage. I just dont want the crack to become bigger and bigger overtime.

make me sad to have a new car with cracked bumper, but s*** happen i guess.

so basicly i would have to remove the bumper to get epoxy inside?

Not really looking for a true fix because that sound very expensive for relative minor damage. I just dont want the crack to become bigger and bigger overtime.

make me sad to have a new car with cracked bumper, but s*** happen i guess.

I have repaired bumpers and motorcycle parts. Even a cheap Harbor Freight plastic welder would outperform epoxy.
These folks specialize in bumper repair and have good info on their site: http://www.urethanesupply.com/

or plastic weld it... but that will only hold the crack together (it's quite strong) and won't make it look great on the outside...

I had a small crack like that in my bumper and left it alone, and 6 months later it became a much larger crack, so definitely fix it!

what I ultimately did was use some Bondo 2-part bumper repair epoxy on the inside of the bumper, with some 3M metal mesh made for body work to hold it together.

you have to take the bumper off, then clean and rough up the plastic inside to allow he epoxy to bind to the bumper.
Then I put the metal mesh on the crack and spread the two part epoxy on top.

It became solid in less than an hour. don't know about the long term, I traded in that car a few weeks later. I am hoping the metal mesh will prevent the bondo epoxy from cracking at the same place where the bumper is cracked.

Then if you want to make it look better you''ll have to fill the outside of the crack with repair paste, sand and repaint, but that is a bit more work than just the epoxy.

Back