Rattling Instrument Panel

chiurw

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2008 Maserati Gran Turismo, 2011 911 Turbo S
I have this annoying rattle coming from the instrument panel on my '08 CX-9 GT. It only happens when the car is warmed up and sitting in the sun for a few hours. It is very quiet when it's cold. I traced the rattle to the lenses covering the tach and speedometer. Has anyone removed the bezels and lenses or removed the instrument panel to silence this rattle before? If so, can you show me how? These Mazda's come with so many snap-on plastic parts that I am afraid I might break something so any help is greatly appreciated.

i've not done exactly what you are asking but i have removed a fair number of trim pieces on my cars. while i think you should always be careful, I am always surprised about how easily cars in general snap together (and apart). the trick is just knowing how they come apart. but i've usually found DIY videos on youtube or watched mechanics do it and plastic interior trim pieces are actually pretty hardy. guys who know what they are doing will rip parts off without much worry.

i have the same problem in my 2011. but for me, i hear it most when it's cold outside. it really drives me insane, and like you mentioned i can seem to get it to quiet down if i press on the bezels sometimes but i haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. i'm about to "fix" it with a hammer :)

if anyone can chime in on how to fix this i would love to hear it.

Maybe a little weather stripping between the gauges and the bezel would do the trick. Enough to keep it tight but not to break anything.

Getting to it I can't help you with, I haven't touched the CX( (it's 4 months old and the wife's so it goes to the dealer).

A Possible Solution

I initially posted about a rattling sound coming from the dash that was driving me nuts. I think I found the solution and actually discovered where the problem was when I replaced the spark plugs on my wife's CX-9. The vacuum valve that is bolted to the firewall was the culprit. See attached picture. I noticed mine was quite loose when I removed it so tightened it down after my spark replacement. The rattle sound went away.

Give it a try. It just takes a 10mm socket to tighten two nuts on the side of the bracket. vacuum valve.jpg

Another place I found that initially sounded like a dash rattle but was something else was the battery tie-down bracket. Tighten both sides using a 10mm wrench.

Latest posts

Back