New CX-5 issues

dnme

:
CX-5
Hi folks,

I am guessing this is an American based forum. I am from Ireland so I guess the cars won't be identical but hey, it's great to find an online community of CX-5'ers regardless. I bought a brand new CX-5 this January. I adore it. I went for the Platinum spec as they call it here, so I get all the toys and trimmings etc. It's the 2.2 diesel engine on 2WD. Over the past month I have notice the following on the odd occasion.

1. Sometimes, when you start the engine, it starts on high revs (as if it were a petrol car with the choke engaged), while its revving high, it billows smoke out of the two rear exhausts. This lasts for 20-30 seconds before it returns to normal idle revving and the exhaust smoke clears away. It looks a little embarrassing and fills the area with smoke. Im worried about this. Its happened now 3 or 4 times over the past three days. Usually after the car is cold and has been sitting in the wet.

2. Sometimes for no reason, the indiicators flash. I have observed it doing this while I was in a garage paying for diesel and I happened to look out at it, all indicators flashed multiple times . Then the other night I was at home out in the yard and it did it on and off 2 or 3 times. Tonight it actually happened while driving home. It was dark, I was on a straight country road, and my drivers wing mirror indicator flashed. (I did not touch any of the controls to cause this, it did it all by itself).

3. There is wind noise coming from the drivers door when at speed. Depending on atmospheric conditions such as wind direction and strength this can vary from not much noise to quite a lot. Ive already mentioned this to you and Mazda, and I believe they have been in touch with you on it.

Has anyone had any similar issues with the CX-5? Should I be worried ?
It's just gone back to the garage for it's 2000km check. All diagnostics were perfect and the garage are perplexed by my issues above.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

d

My humblest apologies, Ive just realised that Ive posted this in the "How to" section. If a mod wished to move it to a more appropriate section, please feel free and sorry for the mistake.

#1. This is VERY NORMAL. It's in the manual. Mazda made it this way. In the manual it says you can also start driving right away, no need to wait the 20-30 seconds.
#2. Odd, no idea, you sure the keys aren't in your pocket being accidentally pushed?
#3. Dunno, can you feel wind coming in if you put your hand on the window area?

#4. How's your alignment? Because mine pulls to the left hard, and dealer is trying to charge me $80 to adjust it. 107 miles on car!

#4. How's your alignment? Because mine pulls to the left hard, and dealer is trying to charge me $80 to adjust it. 107 miles on car!

That's awful. Go to another dealer. Adjustments like that are typically free for a year.

My dealer informed me that Mazda USA will cover the alignment when the vehicle is under 1 yr and x amount of miles.

#1. This is VERY NORMAL. It's in the manual. Mazda made it this way. In the manual it says you can also start driving right away, no need to wait the 20-30 seconds.
#2. Odd, no idea, you sure the keys aren't in your pocket being accidentally pushed?
#3. Dunno, can you feel wind coming in if you put your hand on the window area?

Bear in mind, this is a brand new car, purchased this January.

1. Dealer says it might be the car doing a DPF regeneration. But 3 times in 10 days? I'm driving decent journeys (not short start stops) so the dpf should be fine. Also it cant be normal for a new car to be billowing smoke out of both exhausts !

2. Could be, I'll monitor

3. Wind noise is terrible from drivers door. Took it to dealer and they basically shrugged their shoulders. So I emailed Mazda customer service who rang me, argued the case and are now saying that they will ring the dealer and get the dealer to ring me. We;re going around in circles.

Whats I expect here at a minimum, is a cabin air pressure test like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KipdOymCzZA

Also, a through inspection of door seals, and door / door lock catch alignment. Am I being reasonable in requesting this ?

Search the forum.
#1 is again NORMAL.
When engine is cold, it will have high rpms when you start the car for 20-30 seconds.
Yours is diesel, mine is regular gas, it's the same I believe. Mine does this every morning and during work when I go to lunch, and go home.
Read the manual.

Going through 3 DPF regeneration within 10 days is not normal... Unless:

1) You drive very short trips

2) You own one of the CX-5's that needed an ecu and exhaust sensor update.

Last edited:
Search the forum.
#1 is again NORMAL.
When engine is cold, it will have high rpms when you start the car for 20-30 seconds.
Yours is diesel, mine is regular gas, it's the same I believe. Mine does this every morning and during work when I go to lunch, and go home.
Read the manual.

Petrol and Diesel engines behave very differently. Petrol engines use a throttle body and ECU to engage an automatic type of choke when starting from cold. Diesel engines pressurize the fuel, and heat the plugs to before starting the engine. Diesels do not normally start at high revs regardless of temperature. But your advice to "read the manual" was very helpful. Thanks so much!

The revving high when starting is a bit odd, there's no logic to it.

Mine starts with high revs at random, whether hot or cold, it makes no difference, sometimes I can go weeks without it doing it, then for some odd reason it will suddenly start with high revs, to me its no good for a cold engine and just a waste of fuel.

Personally I think its a programming error, I've complained to the dealer but got some waffle for why it does it, also the same claptrap from Mazda via email.
I'm not alone others on the forum have reported the same random high rev start.

I don't notice the white smoke however, but I 've had a couple of occasions while driving when white smoke has bellowed out of the exhaust, I've assumed it may have been the end of a regen?

Copy of email.

Thank you for your recent email.

Having discussed your concern with our Technical Department, I can advise the following:

High idle speed is a normal function of the SkyActiv Diesel engine on start up, and is not related to any PCM updates; this has always been a feature of this engine.

After a cold start, the regulating valve and the wastegate valve are fully open to enable the exhaust gas to flow through the turbochargers without losing much exhaust gas heating capacity. Also the VVL mechanism slightly opens one exhaust valve per cylinder during intake stroke in order to recirculate a certain amount of high temperature exhaust gas back to the cylinder.

This is for early activation of the catalytic converter and improved exhaust gas purification. This does not indicate defect of the parts.

Operating Requirement

1. Water temperature (ECT) at engine starting: from 15 to 32 degrees Celsius.

Intake air temperature (IAT) at engine start: from 15 to 35 degrees Celsius.

Barometric pressure at (BARO) at engine start: from: 91 to 200 kPa.

2. Gear position: P, N, D with the engine idling (Accelerator pedal not depressed)

This is mentioned in the owner’s manual

Owner’s Manual

This concern is mentioned in the O/M “When Driving Start/Stop Engine” as follows:.

After starting a cold engine, the engine speed increases and a whining sound from the engine compartment can be heard.

This is for improved exhaust gas purification and does not indicate defect of the parts.

In closing, I trust the above information clarifies your Mazda CX-5 is operating as intended.

Yours sincerely

Last edited:
Back