Traded her in yesterday.

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
Thanks to everyone for all the help with my cx5 over the time I've been here. It really is a great car, but I could not get used to the anemic throttle response in my 13. It just seemed so unpredictable to me and bordered on unsafe in certain circumstances. It's had its issues here and there and my mazda dealer hasn't been helpful. I now drive a 2014 rav4 xle which has a great throttle response and enough power. The rav has Eco and sport modes, the Eco mode is still more responsive than the cx5. There's upsides and downsides of course. I'll miss my cx5 but pretty excited about the rav. I literally told my car out loud on the way to the dealer that it wasn't her fault and she'd find a great new owner to love her. Lol. Yes, I get really attached to my cars.
Enjoy those cx5s everyone!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, the Sport mode in the Rav4 is actually pretty nice. It would've been one of my front runners if it wasn't for the horrible interior.

I really like the interior in all black. Anything else looks too disjointed. All the climate controls are nice and high so I can still see the road when changing something. I admit it had to grow on me. It's just so different. But I felt that way about the new escape exterior. I hated it when it first came out, now I like it. I don't like the electrical problems and mft issues that plague almost all of them though so the ford was out.

Congratulations on the new vehicle! This is interesting in that I finally test drove a CX-5 last week and I came to similar conclusions regarding the anemic 2.0L. I had been researching a replacement vehicle for my 2.3L Escape (manual) as it has almost 170,000 miles and will be near 200K soon as I drive a lot. Not having many options for a manual transmission, I had pretty much decided the CX-5 MT-6 would be the best replacement. Although the suspension and quietness were impressive, the CX-5 didn't seem much different in acceleration than the Escape. I was hoping for better with the Skyactiv weight reduction and so forth. I am now wondering if the Skyactiv hype is worth it, especially if the lightening contributes to hood and mirror shake. I have not concluded my search, but the CX-5 has moved from my probable to possible category as a replacement. If the 2.5L MT-6 were available, I would absolutely be jumping on it, but if I opt out of the manual, I think there are many good options.

Last edited:
Nodnerb - Congrats on the new Rav4. I remember your CX-5 still had the open issue with cold start stumble and stalling, certainly unacceptable to say the least.

This class of compact crossover/SUVs is very competitive and I have no doubt that Toyota has stepped up to be near top of class in this segment. I've sat in the interior at SF car show and thought it was fine.

Post up a couple pics when you get a chance. I'm looking forward to some comparisons (Rav vs CX-5) after you accumulate some miles, your perspective will be useful.

Yea, I hear you.

Traded in 13 Sport for 14 Touring, mostly due to driving in heavy traffic.

The 2.5L engine is a night and day difference, even from 2.0L sport.

I test drove a 2013 CX-5 AWD for three days through Hertz Rent2Buy program and was disappointed in the acceleration. I'm now considering the Rav4. I currently drive a Toyota Matrix and have become accustomed to a reliable user friendly vehicle.

I test drove a 2013 CX-5 AWD for three days through Hertz Rent2Buy program and was disappointed in the acceleration. I'm now considering the Rav4. I currently drive a Toyota Matrix and have become accustomed to a reliable user friendly vehicle.

You may find the 2014 with the new 2.5l engine better. It has a fair amount more horsepower and torque than the 2.0. I've heard that it is still very reluctant to downshift though which was my main issue with driving the 2013. I haven't driven a 2014 but you probably should before counting it out.

You may find the 2014 with the new 2.5l engine better. It has a fair amount more horsepower and torque than the 2.0. I've heard that it is still very reluctant to downshift though which was my main issue with driving the 2013. I haven't driven a 2014 but you probably should before counting it out.

The 2014 added a kickdown switch under the pedal for that very reason. Press hard on the accelerator and you'll feel a click. The car then gives you all she's got (Star Trek reference not intended). It's actually pretty sweet when that happens...

The 2014 added a kickdown switch under the pedal for that very reason. Press hard on the accelerator and you'll feel a click. The car then gives you all she's got (Star Trek reference not intended). It's actually pretty sweet when that happens...

Yeah I've heard about that. That wasn't the problem with it for me though. When I put it to the floor, it went. Not fast mind you, but fast enough. The frustrating problem was in 90% of my driving I am going 60 Kms an hour. The cx5 is in 6th gear at 1200 rpm. If I want to speed up a bit and pass someone and press the accelerator a bit, nothing happens, press a bit more, nothing , press more, nothing, press a bit more and it downshifts a gear or two and roars ahead. Then back into 6th and bogging down again. Going up an overpass, the car is lugging along in 6th and slowing down, reluctant to downshift but not even being able to keep a steady speed. I drove in manual mode almost exclusively as a result and that's fine but I shouldn't *have* to just to go up an overpass. It just drove me nuts. The rav accelerates linearly. If I press the gas a bit, it speeds up a bit. Throughout the gas pedal travel an expected and proportional amount of power is given.

Last edited:

Good point, the switch improves the "predictability" of the downshift and rapid acceleration.

With my 2013 2.0L, I sometimes find myself fishing with my right foot (by applying what I think is the right amount of pedal pressure) for the right lower gear. And that's after my tranny has adapted to my somewhat aggressive driving. In some situations in heavy fast moving traffic, I purposely avoid the pass knowing this vehicle does not have the power and reflexes to make the maneuver safely, where my other 2 sport sedans can easily pull it off. I bring this up because Nodnerb mentioned the "anemic throttle response", and I know exactly what he is talking about.

I've always said the 2.0L power is adequate, nothing more. I now know why other automakers have not used Atkenson cycle modes in their low-horsepower non-hybrid engines, I think it contributes to the dead pedal response especially at lower revs with small increase in MPG.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. I was able to check out the new RAV4, but not test drive it. It's a very competitive package for the compact cross over segment.

I've test driven a '13 CX5 and own a '14 CX5. I think the 2.5L engine makes a big difference. The amount of additional torque available at lower rpms is what makes the biggest difference. I think the '14's throttle response has "goldilocks" programming. It's still economically tuned, but once used to it, it's pretty responsive. The amount of movement required is still more than a "normal" car, but it's very predictable and repeatable.

I've had the opportunity to drive a '13 CR-V on a few road trips between San Diego and Los Angeles and I disliked how the throttle is mapped out in both normal and ECO mode. Granted I've gotten used to the CX5's throttle response. The CR-V's normal mode felt too sensitive, where it was very eager to downshift and rev up where my CX5 would hold the gear and use it's low end torque to give me that little bit of acceleration I requested. But the CR-V's ECO mode was less responsive than the CX5's and made the car feel very lazy and required very aggressive throttle inputs. This resulted in the car not doing anything then to suddenly downshift 2 gears and rev high when only requesting moderate acceleration.

CX-SV brings up a good point. Sometimes it's just driving style too. Before my CX5, I drove a Protege5. The driving style required plenty of patience when looking for passing opportunities. With the more powerful CX5, I can jump on some of those opportunities the P5 couldn't do. My p5's driving style can be summed up by this motto: I don't speed! I just don't slow down. (drive)

I test drove the RAV-4 XLE and thought it was very good overall. I did not like the shelf like trim piece with imitation leather and faux stitching and the front looked only acceptable. However, I did like the reclining back seat and differential lock button. The XLE trim is priced very competitively, but you must take it with a sunroof. It drives pretty good, better than the previous gen RAV-4 but not as good as the CX-5. Fuel economy is a bit less than the CX-5.

Regarding the linearity of the gas pedal, for several years now most vehicles' throttle input goes through mapping before it actually drives the throttle. The Toyota feels responsive because the initial push gives you more than it would have given you had it been using a direct connection (truly linear). This, of course, has the disadvantage that it uses more gas.
The CX-5 does like to hold high gears to save gas. For me, the annoyance comes only if I try to maintain a set speed AND keep instant MPG reading low. However, with the CX-5, the speed in which you press the pedal also impacts the mapping, so if you slowly press a little than a little more, it will not jump into action whereas if you pressed the same amount faster, it will.

I test drove the 2L but had my eyes all along on the 2.5L. I am sure the 2L is sufficient and possibly the only engine offered elsewhere in the world. Yeah, it is not a speed demon but after driving a Prius and a 1.6L Chevy Cruz overseas (no power what so ever), I think it is fine. I totally get people which prefer it for the gas millage and perhaps the lower price.

Thanks to everyone for all the help with my cx5 over the time I've been here. It really is a great car, but I could not get used to the anemic throttle response in my 13. It just seemed so unpredictable to me and bordered on unsafe in certain circumstances. It's had its issues here and there and my mazda dealer hasn't been helpful. I now drive a 2014 rav4 xle which has a great throttle response and enough power. The rav has Eco and sport modes, the Eco mode is still more responsive than the cx5. There's upsides and downsides of course. I'll miss my cx5 but pretty excited about the rav. I literally told my car out loud on the way to the dealer that it wasn't her fault and she'd find a great new owner to love her. Lol. Yes, I get really attached to my cars.
Enjoy those cx5s everyone!!!

I get attached to my cars too. :) Sorry the CX-5 didn't work out for ya, but sounds like you are going to be happy with the RAV4. Best of luck, pal!!

My 2013 CX5 GT is history as of yesterday/Sunday. I sold it to a close relative that really needed it, her Subie Outback with 189K miles is well past its prime.

She needs the AWD (has Lake Tahoe second home) and loves the leather, nav, Bose, BSM, HIDs, etc. She's a happy camper!

My 2013 CX5 GT is history as of yesterday/Sunday. I sold it to a close relative that really needed it, her Subie Outback with 189K miles is well past its prime.

She needs the AWD (has Lake Tahoe second home) and loves the leather, nav, Bose, BSM, HIDs, etc. She's a happy camper!

Are you bailing on the CX-5? Or getting a bigger 2.5L CX-5?

This is one of the reasons we picked up the CX-5 for use with our cabin. The Explorer has dismal fuel economy all around and lacks creature comforts, the Maxima doesn't do winter well and the G35X doesn't have much room to carry cargo & cats in their cages.

And in California, "chain controls"/chaining-up can be avoided with AWD/4WD, that's a huge plus here for frequent travelers into high Sierra mountains.

No replacement vehicle needed at this time. 3 vehicles in household currently.

Sorry to hear you sold it. If do get back in the market, definitely test drive the 2.5L. Huge difference from the 2.0L. It still amazes me that 2.5L CX-5 has 50% bigger engine, 700 pounds heavier, and much faster 0-60mph compared to my old 2007 Civic, but still gets same mixed driving MPG. Who knows what Mazda will put Skyactiv engine in next. You may have some interesting choices if you wait it out for a while. Is your icon from Mad Max?

Sorry to hear you sold it. If do get back in the market, definitely test drive the 2.5L. Huge difference from the 2.0L. It still amazes me that 2.5L CX-5 has 50% bigger engine, 700 pounds heavier, and much faster 0-60mph compared to my old 2007 Civic, but still gets same mixed driving MPG. Who knows what Mazda will put Skyactiv engine in next. You may have some interesting choices if you wait it out for a while. Is your icon from Mad Max?

Yes, I have 2 premium sport sedans that are considerably quicker than CX-5 (both the 2.0L and 2.5L) and 1 boring commuter car. But I will miss having a nice SUV/crossover type of vehicle, even if I rarely use it's capabilities. The high seating position in traffic is a big plus.

Not sure of origin of my avatar/icon. I lifted it years ago from a Hummer forum because I like to wear a variety of sunglasses. Mad Max might be right, lol...

Back