Dealer recommending alignment "just to be proactive"

davidhbrown

:
2013 CX-5 GT AWD/Tech
Called my dealer to schedule a routine service at around 13mo/12,600 miles. The person doing scheduling in the service department recommended a $70 alignment "just to be proactive" because of road conditions here in the NE (not great, to be sure, but I've seen worse and avoid / slow down for potholes).

My CX-5 seems to be tracking pretty true. While I certainly don't make a habit of driving with no hands on the wheel, I've tried doing so a few times for a few tens of yards when no one else was around and the road was straight, and it seems solid. Maybe I have to make a few more tiny corrections than I did when it was brand new, but I might also just be paying more attention. (Worlds better than the 2001 Grand Caravan I traded in, to be sure!)

So, does anyone have strong opinions in favor of this idea of doing an alignment "just to be proactive?" I replied that it sounded as if she was just fishing for dollars and I'd wait 'til there was an actual problem. But I'm sure they'll still be happy to take my money if I change my mind.

Thanks

Now I've heard it all! Mazda allows for one alignment in the first year or 12k miles under warranty if there is an indication that this is required (ie. abnormal tire wear). So if you want them to check the alignment, tell them to put it on Mazda's tab. Otherwise, since there is no apparent reason to do this, tell them to go fish elsewhere.

Agreed, they are playing a numbers game to get the small percentage of the suckers that buy it.

My Mazda service department tries the same sales pitch with wheel balancing, which I always decline.

...Mazda allows for one alignment in the first year or 12k miles under warranty if there is an indication that this is required ...
Interesting; I did not know that but I'm sure they do... and it's probably not a coincidence they didn't suggest this at the last service but waited until I was past that 1y/12k point!

Thanks both of you for confirming my suspicion. I'll be on the lookout for the wheel balancing offer, too ;-)

I had a free alignment because I had the off center steering wheel issue.

Ask the service manager to give you a free alignment since you are a loyal customer. Worse they can say is no.

Back