Jack Stands

pchrist

Will 4 3 ton jack stands support the car so I can take all the wheels off at once??? Looking to do the rotors and pads this weekend. Thinking about painting the calipers as well.

TY in advance

The answer to your question is yes. I lift the front end first, the whole front end, with my floor jack. The jacking point (in case you don't know) is under the center of the lower subframe front most steel bar. The horizontal steel bar....you will see a small section right in the center of it that is meant for floor jack lifting point. I wondered if that would be strong enough... it makes some creaking noises but no sweat, it works fine. Best thing about lifting it this way is that it does not put any stress on the unibody i.e. no alignment issues to worry about since the unibody won't twist. I've lifted my cx-9 before under the drivers door and that was a big mistake cuz it actually affected the alignment.

For front wheel drive, the rear lifting point is under the middle of the rear suspension subframe/crossmember, its the piece of steel that sticks downwards about 2 inches.
For AWD, i'm not sure, i think its the differential? but I could be wrong.

I put on the e-brake, then block the rear wheels with 2x4's, then lift the front end first, put my jack stands under the lower control arms, then slowly lift the rear end and put the jack stands under the rear part of the floor to rocker reinforcement pinch weld areas (look for something meaty/strong). Just make sure the car is on a completely level surface when doing this so that when you start to lift the rear end, the car doesn't slide off the front jack stands.

I've done this a couple times now and it works great!

IMG_4040_zps1a34b46b.jpg

Last edited:
The answer to your question is yes. I lift the front end first, the whole front end, with my floor jack. The jacking point (in case you don't know) is under the center of the lower subframe front most steel bar. The horizontal steel bar....you will see a small section right in the center of it that is meant for floor jack lifting point. I wondered if that would be strong enough... it makes some creaking noises but no sweat, it works fine. Best thing about lifting it this way is that it does not put any stress on the unibody i.e. no alignment issues to worry about since the unibody won't twist. I've lifted my cx-9 before under the drivers door and that was a big mistake cuz it actually affected the alignment.

For front wheel drive, the rear lifting point is under the middle of the rear suspension subframe/crossmember, its the piece of steel that sticks downwards about 2 inches.
For AWD, i'm not sure, i think its the differential? but I could be wrong.

I put on the e-brake, then block the rear wheels with 2x4's, then lift the front end first, put my jack stands under the lower control arms, then slowly lift the rear end and put the jack stands under the rear part of the floor to rocker reinforcement pinch weld areas (look for something meaty/strong). Just make sure the car is on a completely level surface when doing this so that when you start to lift the rear end, the car doesn't slide off the front jack stands.

I've done this a couple times now and it works great!

IMG_4040_zps1a34b46b.jpg

Where exactly under the LCA?

Back