Brakes pulsing / vibrating when slowly braking, and interior rattle issues.

rekindle

:
2014 CX-5
Hi there. Not so new owner of a 2014 CX-5 (Touring, auto trasnmission). Purchased it new back in May of 2013. Currently have close to 9K miles on it.

I have an issue when braking, especially in stop and go traffic. Braking isn't smooth. If I brake from 40+ mph, it's fine. But if I am going 20 mph or so and slowly come to a stop I can feel the brakes vibrating and pulsing. Sometimes I feel like the brakes are trying to push back. On top of that, the gear changes don't appear to be very smooth when coming to a stop. Anyone else experienced these issues? I didn't think 9K miles on the car would cause the brakes to need replacement.

I have another issue, I hear a rattle from my center console, and the passenger side towards the winshield. Its getting quite annoying. I see other threads about rattles. Anyone had any luck getting them fixed? I am kind of reluctant to take the car to a dealer, and them taking the dash apart.

The brake thing sounds a whole lot like the ABS kicking in. Was there snow or ice on the ground by any chance?

Last edited:
Hi there. Not so new owner of a 2014 CX-5 (Touring, auto trasnmission). Purchased it new back in May of 2013. Currently have close to 9K miles on it.

I have an issue when braking, especially in stop and go traffic. Braking isn't smooth. If I brake from 40+ mph, it's fine. But if I am going 20 mph or so and slowly come to a stop I can feel the brakes vibrating and pulsing. Sometimes I feel like the brakes are trying to push back. On top of that, the gear changes don't appear to be very smooth when coming to a stop. Anyone else experienced these issues? I didn't think 9K miles on the car would cause the brakes to need replacement.

I have another issue, I hear a rattle from my center console, and the passenger side towards the winshield. Its getting quite annoying. I see other threads about rattles. Anyone had any luck getting them fixed? I am kind of reluctant to take the car to a dealer, and them taking the dash apart.

Unless you want to pay someone else to do it, the dealer is where you need to take your car. Have the tires been rotated yet>? Sounds like deposits on the rotor face, or a warped rotor. Since you do not feel it over 20mph, my bet would be rotor deposits.

Step 1, remove all your crap from the car, center console, glovebox, door pockets, etc.

Step 2, take the car back out for a ride, and even better if you can ride as a passenger, see if your rattles are still there..

Step 3, take car to the dealer.

I don't have the braking issue, but I have something rattling in the center of the dash. No idea what. Hopefully the brakes just need a rotor turned or something.

As for the transmission, the Skyactiv system doesn't downshift very aggressively and this is to maximize mileage. There are certain times when I'm slowing down that I hit an area where it hasn't downshifted and when I hit the gas again the thing just groans. I took it to my dealer and after a ride along, the mechanic told me this was normal.

Sounds like warped rotors

Yep. If lug nuts were not torque down evenly it can warp the rotors.
Dealer will probably turn them for you to smooth surface.
Whenever I get my tires rotated, I always loosen and retorque lugnuts
when I get home. A torque wrench is a good investment.

Back