"Silly" technology really paid off today!

jbs80122

:
2014 CX-5 GT
I bought my wife a 2014 CX-5 GT right after Thanksgiving. We've loved the car ever since. It is so much more capable in snow and ice than the Toyota Avalon she used to drive. It came with the rain sensing windshield wipers that are part of the Technology package. I've always felt this was rather silly, and thought they offered nothing over regular intermittent wipers. Today, however, I was proved wrong. We were driving back from Boulder to Denver on the 36, in rather lousy weather, snow packed roads, snow still falling, driving in the left lane, which was a little more clear than the other lanes. I noticed the truck coming the other way, kicking up huge amounts of sludge and ice, about two seconds before we passed each other. The muck covered my windshield, and made it instantly impossible to see. Before I could react, the windshield wipers came on at full speed, and had the windshield cleared in less than a second! I could have probably turned on the wipers before something drastic happened, but we'll never know. All I know is that the technology kicked in and worked like a charm in a serious situation where I never would have though it would be needed. I'm a believer now! If you have this feature on your car, keep it activated. You literally never know when it will come in handy, and may even keep you out of a crash.

Interesting...thanks for sharing. I never would have thought of that either.

Good to know, most of us have never seen it work it that rapid response mode.

It kicked it pretty fast for me too. Same situation, but more snow than water. I still had to slow down, turn on hazard and pull over to shoulder till I rode the bumps as snow was still swirling around like crazy.

I leave mine on automatic and only ever touch the controls to spray the windshield when there's salt. It works very, very well.

I bought my wife a 2014 CX-5 GT right after Thanksgiving. We've loved the car ever since. It is so much more capable in snow and ice than the Toyota Avalon she used to drive. It came with the rain sensing windshield wipers that are part of the Technology package. I've always felt this was rather silly, and thought they offered nothing over regular intermittent wipers. Today, however, I was proved wrong. We were driving back from Boulder to Denver on the 36, in rather lousy weather, snow packed roads, snow still falling, driving in the left lane, which was a little more clear than the other lanes. I noticed the truck coming the other way, kicking up huge amounts of sludge and ice, about two seconds before we passed each other. The muck covered my windshield, and made it instantly impossible to see. Before I could react, the windshield wipers came on at full speed, and had the windshield cleared in less than a second! I could have probably turned on the wipers before something drastic happened, but we'll never know. All I know is that the technology kicked in and worked like a charm in a serious situation where I never would have though it would be needed. I'm a believer now! If you have this feature on your car, keep it activated. You literally never know when it will come in handy, and may even keep you out of a crash.

+1

question: how did you turn on this feature? did you leave the wipers in auto mode? it was drizzling today and i remember reading this thread hoping my wipers will automatically swipe the windshield. i waited quite a long bit and nothing ever happened...

and yes i do have the tech package

Owners manual - pp4-63

Auto-wiper control
When the wiper lever is in the AUTO position, the rain sensor senses the amount of rainfall on the windshield and turns the wipers on or off automatically (off―intermittent―low speed―high speed). The sensitivity of the rain sensor can be adjusted by turning the switch on the wiper lever.

From the center position (normal), rotate the switch downward for higher sensitivity (faster response) or rotate it upward for less sensitivity (slower response).

Back