Can you copy a 2014 CX5 KEY (not fob)

This is my first experience with remote start vehicles. I've locked my keys in the car twice in the last two weeks. Yes ill try to be more careful but in the meantime:

1. Most new cars don't let you lock the keys in the car...what's up with the CX5?

2. Have any of you succesfullsuccessfully copied the KEY inside the fob? I'd like to copy one and hide it on the car somewhere I'm case I lock my keys in again.

Thanks!

Do NOT let anyone except the dealer copy a key for you. I had mine mangled (and luckily paid for) by Wal-Mart, who had a very expensive key making machine but still got it caught in the machine. The key has an 'extra' ridge on it that locks it into the fob, but unfortunately this ridge also locks it into the key making machine making removal impossible. They had to literally destroy the key maker with a crow bar to even get the key out, but the key was trash by that time.

When I had mine redone at the dealer, Mazda literally had an 'official' method where they cut a piece off of a front brake low pad warning squealer and place that piece over the key just so before inserting it into their machine to prevent it from locking in. They were working on a better solution at the time, but either way, I would let the dealer do it so that if it messes up they are going to replace it directly themselves.

I got mine copied at a lock smith shop and it works perfectly. Helped me get into my car once. I keep it in my wallet. Pay the extra dollar and have a locksmith shop do the cutting. You do know there is a spare key within the fob? Ed

I had mine copied by a locksmith and hid it on top of my trailer hitch in a magnetic box. Having to call AAA to come open the door once was enuf for me!

I had Home Depot copy mine and I bought a magnetic box to hide the key - I put it under the hood just in front of the windshield wiper...

I was concerned that I might lose my FOB while at work and I would be unable to get in and drive away, so I have a FOB wrapped in aluminum foil thrown in with my spare tire, and a door key in a magnet box under the car. The aluminum foil worked great at not letting the car recognise the FOB was in the vicinity of the car.

Last edited:
The copied key will get you into the car but, not start it as you must have the microprocessor avail. Ed

And this is susposed to be a great advantage over having one key you open the vehicle, put in the ign switch and turn, start and drive away. I guess it progress to some and not to others. Ed

I just keep my fob in my pocket...no need to put it anywhere else.

I got the key copied at a hardware store as a spare. Then rather than risk losing the expensive (and bulky) fob when we went to a theme park recently, I just carried the spare key and left the fob in the trunk. No need for foil, it's far enough away in there that the car won't start.

I just keep my fob in my pocket...no need to put it anywhere else.

As a diver that wouldn't work well in salt water, I once hid the fob on my trailer hitch like I did with the CX-7 but that put it within the range of the sensor so anyone could have opened the liftgate. Now I take the key with me and leave the fob in the car in the foil bag the EZ-Pass came in.

Nice idead Laditude - I put mine deep in the spare well in the trunk when I surf.

BTW - I copied my key at home depot - wasn't easy but he did it after two tries

Latest posts

Back