Effects of mod's or aftermarket installs on factory warranty?

antmen

:
2013 Mazda5 Touring & 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring
There are several things on my list for my '13 5 Touring: LED DRL (done,) GPS install, LED rear reflectors, roof rack, and maybe heated mirrors down the road. All awesome write-up from this forum's members. Thanks!

However, I'm concerned about how some of these may or may not affect the factory warranty. I prefer projects that don't require cutting and have fuse taps and OEM-spec'd parts like the DRL project. But is that moot? Will any mod void the warranty?

For what it's worth, I'm meticulous when it comes to installs and wiring so no messy wiring here. On my other vehicle (and '04 Land Rover Discovery,) I've done everything from replacing window regulators to rebuilding the drive shaft with serviceable u-joints to replacing spark plugs and ignition wires. But this is the first time I work on a car under warranty.

Any thoughts or experiences with having warranty coverage denied as a result of add-ons or mods?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It depends on the mod and it all depends. The little things you listed should not void warranty. If you start opening up you motor, that's a different story. The mod will affect that part. The idea is that using non OEM fluids/parts is considered a mod.

Read more on the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

Thanks. Looked into it and I especially like this part of the Act:
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

Now, to comb over the warranty docs.

Thanks!

Back