Anyone leave a Jeep for a CX-5?

Impy5

Hi everyone. I am currently looking to purchase a 2014 CX-5 GT and currently have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've only owned Grand Cherokees and never had any other vehicle as my daily driver. That being said has anyone gone from a Grand Cherokee to a CX-5? If so what were the major differences, positive and negative? Thanks!

the best way to tell, is to go actually try a cx5 for yourself.

Power and interior space will most probably be the most noticeable differences.

aaaaaaannnnd..... fuel economy

Last edited:
My parents both drive Jeeps - a '13 Grand Cherokee and a '13 Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara. They are both very nice cars (and can be quite a bit more expensive than the CX5). Speaking specifically about the Grand Cherokee, I think it has a more 'premium' feel than the CX5. Of course they are not direct competitors (but are sometimes cross-shopped), the space, ride and fit/finish in the Grand Cherokee is unsurprisingly much better. It is a nice car and has moved up-market in recent years. I live in Houston, and I see at least a dozen of them everyday.

When I bought my CX5, I was considering a Grand Cherokee, but I am very happy with the CX5. At the end of the day, I had to look at price vs features/benefits and I think the CX5 is a tremendous value. While smaller, I think the driving dynamics are much better - it feels more connected to the road. The smaller size of the CX5 is better for me because I live in the city - really tight parking spots and garages at both home and work. For my needs, it has enough space for people and luggage/other items but perhaps that might not be the case for everyone. And as speed pointed out, the gas mileage is much better in the 5 - I am averaging in the neighborhood of 25.5 right now with 85% city and 15% highway.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either!

I traded my 2000 Jeep Cherokee for the 2013 CX-5. Both have similar cargo space but the CX-5 has far better handling and fuel economy. I do miss the torque of the 4.0L in the Jeep.

I happily left my Jeep CG for the CX-5. I prefer the size when parking and getting around, the fuel economy really makes it worth my while. Instead of filling up every 4 - 5 days it is now every 8 - 10 days.

In my case Jeep did not provide what I would expect customer service wise, so personally I would never touch them again based on that.

Saying that I would not take the Mazda on some of the dirt roads I took the Jeep, but that's OK :)

Give the CX-5 a test drive, not for everyone.

Back