2013 Smart Key Programming Instructions?

chance72

:
2013 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD, Tech Package
I've googled and searched a few forums, but haven't found anything. Went through the manual, didn't find anything. So need to start yet another thread on this topic.

I'm planning to buy an extra smart key (maybe two). I already have two that came with the car.

Does anyone know if there are programming instructions out there for 2013s?

I doubt it.
A 3rd one is always programmable by owners.
I haven't heard anything against that rule.... yet.
The ads might be (and very likely) wrong.

Anyone who owns a 2013 WorkShop manual can help you. I have a 2008.

P.S. the second key has to be programmed by the dealer. The reason is obvious. It is not right for anyone who gains access to your key can dup one.
You need TWO to dup a 3rd. That makes perfect sense.

I doubt it.
A 3rd one is always programmable by owners.
I haven't heard anything against that rule.... yet.
The ads might be (and very likely) wrong.

Anyone who owns a 2013 WorkShop manual can help you. I have a 2008.

P.S. the second key has to be programmed by the dealer. The reason is obvious. It is not right for anyone who gains access to your key can dup one.
You need TWO to dup a 3rd. That makes perfect sense.

Would this be the one? https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I did scour the net, but couldn't find a free download anywhere. And definitely would be great if it is self-programmable. It would be a 3rd fob/key (and possibly a 4th if I can find it cheap enough).

BTW, I have the 4-button smart key fob type with the pull out aux/emergency key blade.

Thanks. That's the first thread I looked through, among others. The impression I got was that those instructions were year specific, and that others weren't successful with newer year models. Though I could have certainly read through it wrong.

I'll also try to call the dealer next week and see if they'll tell me if a 3rd fob is self programmable...or how much they'll charge for it :-(.

I have a 2011 cx9 and have had no luck self programming a third key

Dealer tells me they to do it.......a locksmith told they could when they get their 9k programming machine...

Either way looks like later models you gotta pay......Atlanta dealer wants 90 bucks to program it

Didn't get a chance to talk to the service guy, but I asked the parts guy. He said the later models may need to be connected to a computer. But he wasn't entirely sure. Anyway, I'm waiting for the workshop manual to arrive so I check if it can be self programmed. Otherwise, dealer programming will cost me $140 for their hour of labor. $8 to cut the key. A new remote fob is $280 and new aux key is $40 at the dealer.

I bought a used remote for $80, but need to get a new aux key. I'll probably pick up a new aux key from the dealer...since I remember reading that quality of those selling on the internet wasn't that great.

Instructions Posted

So here are the instructions straight from the workshop manual for 2013 (sorry, it was a pain formatting it below for this post).

It does read like I CAN activate the programming mode, but then I CANNOT program the fob itself because the M-MDS is needed. Am I reading that correctly?

Here are the acronym descriptions:
M-MDS is the Mazda Modular Diagnostic System
DLC-2 (Data Link Connector-2) located in the driver compartment is a service connector​

################## START OF INSTRUCTIONS ########################################

ADVANCED KEY ID CODE REGISTRATION [ADVANCED KEYLESS ENTRY AND START SYSTEM]

CAUTION:
Do not place the following devices in the vehicle while programming, otherwise programming cannot be performed.

o M-MDS
o Personal computer
o Device that can send/receive radio waves

Verify that the other transmitter is not being operated around the servicing area during advanced key programming.​

NOTE:
Use the M-MDS and start programming if the condition corresponds to the following:​

o One or No Programmed Advanced Keys
o Keyless control module is replaced
If six advanced keys are already programmed, the programming mode does not activate. If programming is needed, use the M-MDS to erase the unnecessary advanced key programming.​

With two programmed advanced keys

1. Bring the programmed advanced keys (2) and a unprogrammed advanced key into the vehicle.
2. Close all doors.
3. Insert the supplementary key into the ignition key cylinder.

NOTE:
Complete the procedures up to Step 7 within 30 s after the supplementary key is inserted.​

4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5. Press the UNLOCK button on advanced key 1.
6. Press the UNLOCK button on advanced key 2.
7. From the ignition switch in the ON position, switch the ignition switch in the order indicated below.
ACC→ON→ACC→ON→ACC→ON
8. Open the driver-side front door, press the door switch twice, and then close the door.

NOTE:
After Step 3 is completed and the advanced key programming mode is activated, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock. If the door lock actuator does not operate, repeat the procedure from Step 2.​

9. Press the UNLOCK button on the unprogrammed advanced key twice.

NOTE:
After Step 8 is completed and the advanced key is programmed, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock.​

10. If programming more advanced keys, remove the supplementary key once, and then repeat the procedure from Step 2.

Using M-MDS

1. Fully lower the driver-side door glass.
2. Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2.
3. Set the M-MDS outside the vehicle with its cable passing through the door glass opening.

CAUTION:
Cover the vehicle body with a clean rag so as not to damage the vehicle body with the cable.​

4. After the vehicle is identified, select the following items from the initial screen of the M-MDS.
Select the Body
Select the Security
Select the "PATS Functions"​
5. Select the following from the screen menu.
Select the Program Additional Advanced Key
6. Perform the security access according to the directions on the M-MDS screen.

################## END OF INSTRUCTIONS ########################################

I asked a service rep at the dealer I bought the car from if I could program the fob/auxiliary key myself for 2013s. He said no, it needs to be hooked up to the computer.

I called another service dept at another dealer. Same thing. He said it needs to be hooked up to the laptop (whatever that laptop is).

So I made an appointment at the end of the month with my dealer to program the fob and aux key. $140.

I already bought the aux key directly from my dealer and had them cut it. $50.

Well, I got the 3rd fob and auxiliary key programmed by the dealer today. They ended up only charging me $100.

For what it's worth, I did email a few local automotive locksmiths to ask if they could program the fob/key for me. Two never replied back. One that did reply said that he didn't have the programming for the 2013 models yet.

It's still too bad I couldn't do it myself. But I do feel much better now having the 3rd fob/key even though I had to go through a little more effort and pay a little more to get it all said and done. The peace of mind is worth it.

found out same thing on my 2011.......bought a used key fob on ebay for about 80 bucks ( make sure same serial number as yours) and bought the hideakey from dealer and had them program all for a third key.....I think total was about 125.00 for key and programming in Atlanta

Question, I have 3 switchblade remotes. One of which i programmed myself. I would just like to get another key without remote for just warming up the car. I don't want to buy remote start. Can i program that 4th key myself and do i need the keys from the other 3 switchblades to program the 4th key. All and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Question, I have 3 switchblade remotes. One of which i programmed myself. I would just like to get another key without remote for just warming up the car. I don't want to buy remote start. Can i program that 4th key myself and do i need the keys from the other 3 switchblades to program the 4th key. All and any input would be greatly appreciated.

What year is your car?

Back