CX-5 Takes Top Safety Pick...But only ones built after Oct 2013?

found an answer

"The Mazda CX-5 was introduced in the 2013 model year. Beginning with 2014 models built after October 2013, the front and side airbag programming and the front structure were modified to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door)."

taken from http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5?print-view

Now how about Mazda reprograms this stuff for us early adopters? :D

I'm pretty miffed overall.

First, dropping the 2.5l in the CX-5 only a single m/y after the 2.0l was the only option in the 13 model...

Now, this?! I'm not going to be the guinea pig anymore, I've decided. I'll be buying designs at least 2-3 model years deep from now on.

I don't see it as a guinea pig situation at all. It's normal for automakers to enhance safety by making mid-cycle mods for improved crash test performance. Ford Motor Co. for example has done it in the past on several past models mid-gen or mid-cycle.

In the case of the CX-5, it's Mazda taking the initiative to improve crash results on testing that is not even mandatory (IIHS-small overlap frontal crash versus mandatory NHTSA crash testing). I still see at as nothing but good news, because the 2013 CX-5 is still near the top of its class of compact SUVs, the model year 2014 just gets better. Mazda chose to do the right thing in a timely matter, ignoring politics and cost concerns.

The 2.5L upgrade is a separate topic. Let's face it, the 2.0L (despite 5% or so better mileage) has more than the usual number of complaints about low power. For me it's less of an issue, because I have more powerful alternate vehicles as home and appreciate the efficiency (since it's easily the most fuel efficient gasoline powered vehicle that I own). But who cares what I think, the 2.0L generated more than the usual number of complaints about power. So Mazda again reacted quickly with release of 2.5L w/upgraded power, nicely done IMO.

btw - The last time I've seen such a quick response to power complaints was at GM with Hummer H3 (inline 5 engine shared w/Chevy Colorado pickups). From 2006 they went from 3.5L to a 3.7L in 2007. Quick response, again because the original engine generated more than the usual number of complaints about power. Can you guys think of other examples where an automaker reacted so quickly to power concerns?

Last edited:
I don't see it in the same light. Least ways, not with the engine options.

The 2.5l was on its way to USDM anyway, with it being the planned powertrain of the gen 3 MZ6. In my mind, the 2.5l was likely always planned to make it into the CX-5 at some point. But, seeing as it was not yet READY in late 2012 for the CX-5 launch, and the 2.0l was, for the sake of rushing it to the market, the 2.0l ended up as the only option for the 2013.

I am, however, being a tad bratty about the safety improvements. I assume Mazda took note of the frontal offset results of the 13 impact tests results, and learned and improved from there.
But, my thoughts are, why not just do it right the first time?

I somewhat see the point on 2.5L, not that's its perfectly clear to us outsiders (not being Mazda employees). But as a business person, I can see Mazda has done almost everything right for both CX-5 model years 2013 and 2014 and they have the sales results to prove it. The narrow (2.0L only) engine choices was not a US sales constraint in model year 2013 at all.

I still see testing that shows Mazda has achieved safety above and beyond government standards for both model years. I see no fault in Mazda's quick improvement related to another non-mandatory test.

I don't see it in the same light. Least ways, not with the engine options.
The 2.5l was on its way to USDM anyway, with it being the planned powertrain of the gen 3 MZ6. In my mind, the 2.5l was likely always planned to make it into the CX-5 at some point. But, seeing as it was not yet READY in late 2012 for the CX-5 launch, and the 2.0l was, for the sake of rushing it to the market, the 2.0l ended up as the only option for the 2013.

you drama queen you......
By your reasoning, the same state of outrage can be applied to the SKY-D engine. It is available everywhere except here in North America.

Does this translate into lower insurance premiums on our CX5s?

Don't Panic! I'm sure us "Guinea Pigs" Will still be just as protected in our "Prototypes" LOL!

I think a small overlap crash-test is the only way to know for sure, jk. Sample size=1.

you drama queen you......
By your reasoning, the same state of outrage can be applied to the SKY-D engine. It is available everywhere except here in North America.

I am not outraged, firstly.

Secondly, the oil burner isn't on everybody's radar. Even when it is finally available, it remains unseen how well the USDM will respond.
I'd love to have one in my personal vehicle, but there's no way my wife would even entertain the idea of having it in her CX-5.

The 2.0 is at home in sport trim, but for anybody who opted to pay a premium for T or GT trims, it is a bit of a slap in the face to have the premium engine released only 12 months later, and for essentially no increase in overall cost no less.
You're just being naive if you can't admit that.

The 2.0 is at home in sport trim, but for anybody who opted to pay a premium for T or GT trims, it is a bit of a slap in the face to have the premium engine released only 12 months later, and for essentially no increase in overall cost no less.

btw - I think/hope that SirWanker's post was just kidding around a bit (tongue in cheek), I could be wrong though....

Agreed, diesel is not on everybody's radar. Most likely the much higher purchase price, high US diesel fuel cost, and higher maintenance costs will diminish my interest (not that my interest was that high) and the interest of others too.

There is a significant price increase on GT's. The 2014 GT AWD w/Tech MSRP is over $1100 more expensive than my early 2013 GT AWD w/Tech MSRP, with the main upgrade being change to 2.5L engine. The engine upgrade was not free for us GT buyers.

Last edited:
I think they made the change with the new straight shifter, which I think they started manufacture in October.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my CX-5 was also manufactured in October and I'm taking it as "after October" for the safety upgrades. It's unfortunate that I just found this out because safety was one of the main driving factors in purchasing (although it's still very safe), we would have made sure to check the manufacture dates before making the purchase...

Does anybody know where we can find what models have the features or not? TSBs have VIN ranges, wouldn't this? Would it be possible to get a Mazda dealer to update the airbag (and I believe seatbelt) programming? Wouldn't it be like a firmware update?

Over the weekend, a Toyota rep at a new car show said this in regards to the small-offset crash test, "Although Toyota made some design changes to address this test, the test itself is flawed as a vehicle would deflect in such a crash, whereas the test jig rigidly locks the vehicle in place and does not represent a real scenario."

Over the weekend, a Toyota rep at a new car show said this in regards to the small-offset crash test, "Although Toyota made some design changes to address this test, the test itself is flawed as a vehicle would deflect in such a crash, whereas the test jig rigidly locks the vehicle in place and does not represent a real scenario."

i find it pathetic that the toyota rep would be making excuses. we are talking about saving people from injury and death. you suck toyota!

Back