Windshield cracking

smotao

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I cracked my first windshield at less then 1000 miles. It was a very hot day and I had the AC blasting pretty hard, but i could barely hear a tiny pebble hit my windshield, then a 12 inch long crack developed in seconds. It took 3 weeks to get a new windshield as they were back ordered all the way to Japan.

Now, I have cracked another windshield at 12,000 miles. I didn't even hear anything hit it this time. I parked it in the morning at work, and I think it was OK, when I came out in the afternoon, it had a 12 inch crack in it, right across the drivers side, so I definately would have noticed that when I parked it. there is a small impact, so something probably hit it while I was driving, and then the sun opened up the crack durring the day. It was about 10 degrees in the morning, but the sun came out and hated to about 40 degrees by the time I left work.

I saw on another forum that some people have been having a lot of problems with the CX-5 windshields.

Has anyone here heard of these being a problem?

I do believe that Mazda CX5s have problems with their glass suppliers. My windshield was replaced because of thousands of tiny sand size particles within the glass even though the glass was perfectly smooth on both sides. The replacement OEM windshield is better but, not very good. I've read several reports of unexplaned cracked from windshields. Ed

Last Friday, when I got into my car in the morning I saw a vertical crack in the center of the windshield, running from the lower part. That crack wasn't there when I parked my vehicule the day before under my carport. Since then, the crack moves upward and I will drive my CX-5 to the dealership tomorrow because in December they had my windshield removed to correct a noise coming from the dashboard (TBS). Maybe the work done created another problem ! I bought a vehicule not visits to the dealership (they didn't succeed correcting hood vibrations after 2 visits).

Back