CX5 defrost mode and AC light

ZoomZoomMD

:
Mazda CX5 Touring
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum and I'm excited to become involved in the community. When I first got the 2014 CX5 back in June of this year the AC light would come on each time I had the car in either pure defrost mode or defrost and feet vent (just like the manual says it should). If I press the AC light, it stays on, it is unable to be turned off unless I switch to a different mode. Now fast forward a couple of months....When I go into defrost or defrost/foot vent, the AC light no longer comes on. I can press the AC button and it will light up, and I can press it and it will go off. But, it is not automatic like when I first go the car. I took it to my local dealer and was told this was normal behavior (they always seem to say that). I'm not sure if I should be complaining, since I've read a lot on these forums where people are upset that the AC light always comes on in those modes, due to a decrease in fuel economy. I look forward to hearing from you.

I have found that the heating mode will always start the same as when you last stopped the engine, so if you left it in auto but with auto switch off, then that's how it starts up again.
Same as the others I really dislike the aircon starting up when auto is selected, so this is a way round it.

I don't have your problem though, if I press the defrost (top one) the auto always (I think) comes on, that's always been the case with other cars I've owned.
I keep meaning to check the manual just to check I'm not missing out on something, but haven't got round to it yet.

My car has exactly the same behavior. (not sure if this is a problem though, but I guess it may be related to the weather.)

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum and I'm excited to become involved in the community. When I first got the 2014 CX5 back in June of this year the AC light would come on each time I had the car in either pure defrost mode or defrost and feet vent (just like the manual says it should). If I press the AC light, it stays on, it is unable to be turned off unless I switch to a different mode. Now fast forward a couple of months....When I go into defrost or defrost/foot vent, the AC light no longer comes on. I can press the AC button and it will light up, and I can press it and it will go off. But, it is not automatic like when I first go the car. I took it to my local dealer and was told this was normal behavior (they always seem to say that). I'm not sure if I should be complaining, since I've read a lot on these forums where people are upset that the AC light always comes on in those modes, due to a decrease in fuel economy. I look forward to hearing from you.

My AC light has never come on when selecting defrost or defrost/foot, but I know that it is built to have AC come on in those modes. Just because the light is not on does not mean that AC is not running. I have tested this by feeling the AC lines under the hood, in warmer weather, of course when I could feel a difference.You cannot manually shut it off, regardless whether the light is on or off when you are in a defrost related mode.

All of the above is normal behaviour for most modern vehicles.

My AC light didn't come on when I select defrost or defrost/foot. The manual does suggest that you turn the temperature dial to middle zone or more warm instead of full cold to prevent freeze up of the compressor. Also you mentioned you experience this in the summer months, maybe this only happen when it's hot outside. I didn't pay attention to this but I don't think I see it on.

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert on the CX5, but on my current SUV selecting the defrost mode will put your AC on automatically if the temperature is above a certain degree (I think it's somewhere around 70).
I think this has to do with moisture build up or something like that.
Pushing the button so that the light is on or off, doesn't matter... either way it is on. With my current SUV, I know there's a DIY modification to stop this.

I've had the same experience since day 1 with my Mazda. I also notice I can't select just plain ol' defrost. My selector wont turn that far to the right. It stops about half way between floor/defrost and defrost. However, it turns fine, fully in the other direction to the vents. Anyone else have this problem with their defrost? I can submit pics later tonight if wanted . . .

I've had the same experience since day 1 with my Mazda. I also notice I can't select just plain ol' defrost. My selector wont turn that far to the right. It stops about half way between floor/defrost and defrost. However, it turns fine, fully in the other direction to the vents. Anyone else have this problem with their defrost? I can submit pics later tonight if wanted . . .

Try harder and it will turn to the defrost mark. I thought I got a problem car; now seems it's a quite common problem?

Back