I Want the CX-5 but I HATE the GPS ... Any Fixes?

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new vehicle and coming from a Acura TSX Tech package. Based on my last 5 years in a TSX, the GPS in the CX-5 looks like a kid's toy. I want the features of GPS and all the tech but I really really dislike the size of the GPS.

Is there any aftermarket solution to somehow get a larger device in the existing (or slightly modified) enclosure?

2015. It'll be better than your TSX Tech Pack.

Yes, there are kits for aftermarket headunits. You do lose a lot of the on the fly vehicle settings that comes along the factory touring+GT headunit.

What's wrong with the size it does it's job perfectly and is integrated into the car. Many people use their phones for navigation with a complaint about their size. I have an 8 inch screen in my BMW and I always use the split screen function which brings it to the same size as the CX5. Never got lost yet. I am in my 50's and anything beats printing out mapquest pages or using printed road maps. Yes I used to walk to school both ways up hill too. Welcome to the age of the technology spoiled!

The size doesn't bother me, what does is it's hard to read at dusk and dawn when the headlights are on and the screen dims.

I do think the screen is small, I could easily see xtrails 7 inch satnav, while I find the TT screen hard to see, but I am 62.

If I was the op, I would wait for the revised cx5 due next year, I have heard they will be revisions, and the mazda 3 does come with I believe a 7 inch nav.

I think the built in GPS units are a waste. With the fast changing technology, you'd be locked into the system which will be outdated quick. Go portable or smartphone based. I've never had any problems with my standard Android app. Voice activated, hands free and it works in any car that I'm using.

The size doesn't bother me, what does is it's hard to read at dusk and dawn when the headlights are on and the screen dims.
Twist the stalk that you push for the trip odometer to the right & it'll stay at full brightness.
I find it too bright for night driving.

i prefer my standalone garmin. size is acceptable, functionality is great and it come with lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic. one thing that really ticks me off on a lot of cars is the GPS is bundled with some of the tech features i would actually use.

I use a smartphone that speaks the directions so I never have to take my eyes off the road.

I see a lot of good suggestions here; what really should happen - in my humble opinion - is that Mazda has an opportunity to showcase some high end head units for the car. True one can have a mobile device but that does not comply to the new Highway Traffic Act amendment in Ontario Canada (HTA 78.1 Amended) - stiff fines will be applied including demerit points. There are some really nice after market units and why not have them develop a Mazda device with the functionality and offer that as a premium upgrade? I am okay with the functionality I got with the NAV system, it takes some time to get used to the way the speech recognition works (mostly not if I am impatient). I did not state I like it a lot, I am okay and that is about it. I do frequently dive into Toronto and without it I would be lost, even if I manned up and got me a real map I most likely would pull off the road and get my electronic device out. I know where North and South are but the streets of these huge cities are so difficult to navigate that without electronic help I would be so lost.... Plus I can now use live traffic info or ask the system to redirect if there is an accident. I plan to visit the Mazda dealer and squeeze myself in a M3 to test that NAV system. This whole issue with the NAV system and head unit should not be there - a progressive modern car manufacturer (as Mazda portraits itself) could listen to their customers and come up with a plan.

Most likely they will do with the 2015 car.
Even aftermarket units come with 6.1" screens. The top of the line ones come only in 7" size. I see so many people using there little Garmin units in there car(including me), which have much smaller screen(3.5"-4.3") then the Mazda's 5.8" and they don't complain.

TT has a new map update which I downloaded yesterday. TT rep states it has a lot of fixes...we will see.

I use a $20 GPS app (USA + Canada) called Copilot on my iphone. You download the maps into your iphone so it doesn’t require a data connection to work like google maps or waze. After using it for a couple of months I found out that is really good and I have to say that a lot better than the my old Garmin GPS. I don’t think I would ever spend any amount of extra money just to get a factory integrated GPS on any car, if you are going to get the tech package get it for the other options.

TT has a new map update which I downloaded yesterday. TT rep states it has a lot of fixes...we will see.[/QUOTE
I really feel it does recognize my voice better. Home Depot is still not listed as a POI....BUMMER, I love that store. One thing I HATE is when asking for the nearest POI it doesn't tell you which direction it is located. When I spoke to the TT CSR two weeks ago, he stated that this new update was going to address that issue. Perhaps he was mistaken or perhaps this isn't the last update for this month???? Honestly, I have not played with it to notice anything else. I sure hope they GET RID OF THE SAFETY LOCK! If TT was smart they would have a account on here to read what people like and dislike about the GPS in the CX5.

Back