Locking Door but keeping engine running?

trek777

:
Mazda, CX5 Sport
Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the doors after getting out of the Cx5 while the engine is running. I'd like to warm up the car but I want to lock the doors.
Also what happens if someone tries to drive the car without the key fob in it?
Thanks for the help.

I beleive the only way discovered yet is to use the actual key from the fob to lock the car after exiting. I have done it and it works.

To answer your other question, if someone tries to drive it without the fob in it, it will drive just fine until they shut it off.

you guys do know it is not good for your car, let alone your gas mileage, to let your car idle for more than a minute or two...

To answer your other question, if someone tries to drive it without the fob in it, it will drive just fine until they shut it off.

Doesn't the car shut off as soon as the fob is moved more than a few feet away from the car?

Also, while it does cut into your gas mileage slightly I doubt any negative effects from letting your car idle for a while on a cold day are worth worrying about. If you're going to scold people for doing this I think you should back it up with some reasoning.

Doesn't the car shut off as soon as the fob is moved more than a few feet away from the car?
Although I have not personally tried it, I have read on this forum that the car can be driven away without the key/fob in the car. It makes sense, in the event of a nearly dead fob battery that the car should still be able to be driven without input from the fob once it has been started.

Its not good to let it idle for long periods. The fluids don't circulate as well as they do when its off idle. But I figure for 10 minutes here and there to keep from freezing my butt off and to let the windows clear its worth what may only theoretically may shorten the life of the engine in the long long long run. I just wish I could lock or unlock the doors with the remote when the car is running. It doesn't make sense to me that you can't.

Also, while it does cut into your gas mileage slightly I doubt any negative effects from letting your car idle for a while on a cold day are worth worrying about. If you're going to scold people for doing this I think you should back it up with some reasoning.

google is your friend, or can be. try this one for starters: http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/cars-transportation/warming-up-car

or

http://withyou.cenex.com/blog/dont-idle-warm-up-your-car-the-right-way/

as for letting the windows clear - buy a scraper...

Last edited:
No, it continues to run. It just can't be restarted with the key nearby.

Funny story, I could swear that twice now I've walked away from the car with the fob in my pocket and it shut off. All this time I thought that was by design. I started thinking about it though and realized that both times my wife was in the car so I asked her about it. She said it has an annoying beep when I walked away with the fob so she pushed the button to shut the car off. And here I was about to claim otherwise without realizing what was really going on.

google is your friend, or can be. try this one for starters: http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/cars-transportation/warming-up-car

or

http://withyou.cenex.com/blog/dont-idle-warm-up-your-car-the-right-way/

as for letting the windows clear - buy a scraper...

Your claim that idling was "not good for the car" was the only claim I was referring to. Nobody doubts or is arguing against the fact that it will hurt your gas mileage and contribute to pollution. Everyone knows that modern fuel injected cars do not need to warm up before driving. There is very little information in these links that tell me about damage to the car. I stand by my claim that the negative effects on your car incurred as a result of idling for a few minutes on a cold morning will not ever be outweighed by the benefits (in my case, the benefits are not having to put a 3 year old and a newborn in an ice cold car). To clarify, I'm talking about 5-10 minutes at most on the coldest mornings (below 15F or so).

google is your friend, or can be.
Yes, but if they only had a forum dedicated to the CX-5 where people could share personal knowledge and experiences without having to scour the web for bits and pieces...yeah, that would be awesome, right?

I love how most of the 'don't let your car warm up' articles mention that you should invest in a scraper (or even better, a can of defroster) to remove "frost". If frost is your biggest concern, I agree, you're being wasteful by warming your car.

However, when I've got 6 inches of snow over 3/4 inch of ice, I'm going to turn my car on when I start clearing it. 5-10 minutes later, when I've finished that task, the car is sufficiently warm to drive and help me recover some of the feeling to my fingers and toes.

I'm OK with people starting and idle when it's actually really cold out (and like you say, need to scrap ice/snow off). The people who let their car idle for 20 minutes (remote start, etc) when they have no ice/snow and just care about personal comfort.. I don't agree with. Get in and drive it. The few minutes you are "cold" won't kill you. :)

I agree. It was -1 here today and block warmers are not available on southern cars. To get the 3/4" ice off, a preheat is necessary. Not everyone has the luxury of parking in a garage.

That being said, I don't do it for the comfort thing. I actually like the cold seats - wakes me up in the morning. My wife's vehicle has heated seats, possibly the silliest thing I can imagine. Having manuals transmissions, I have never had remote starters nor cared for one.

Last edited:
To keep the doors locked while warming up the car:
Open the door as usual. Now, lock the doors using the door button on the left armrest but keep the door open. Start the engine. Step out with your fob with you and close the door. To open the door to get in the car, you have to use the keys located in the fob.Works all the time.

Back