First Mazda! First post! Question about debadging.

Hey guys.

My wife and I are expecting our first child and just picked up a 2014 Mazda CX5. We're loving it so far. I debadge every vehicle I own, as an aesthetic preference, so am looking at removing the CX-5, AWD, and Skyactive badges. Typically these are just stuck on with adhesive and can be removed with a hair drier and floss. I just wanted to ask if anyone has done it yet and if that's the case, anything to watch out for.

Thanks for the info and here are a couple photos of my Volvo C30 for fun. Looking forward to doing some work with the CX5.

Congrats on the new cx-5, and the baby of course. Yes, several people around here have debadged their cx-5s. No surprises from what I've seen in threads. Do a search for debadged.

Ahh, the Swedish version of the Mazda 3-nice! Mazda puts their badging on just like everyone else, so yes, floss and a hair dryer (along with some Goof-off for the adhesive residue) will work fine. I did this on my NC Miata (which tend to be overbadged anyway) and it looks great. IMO, your CX-5 will look kinda generic in the back, but to each his own.

Thanks guys. Now comes the great purchasing dilemma between a crib and car parts. ;)

Just to add another data point: I just debadged my 2014 GT a month or so ago. I used fishing line instead of floss, but they came right off. I then used a microfiber cloth to wipe away the residue, followed by some waxing over the area. Looks fine.

Cheers.

Why would ppl do this? When your car gets towed, they won't know it's an AWD.

Unless they bend over and look underneath the back end. Hopefully any tow truck driver worth anything would know to do that.

Unless you were being sarcastic. If that's the case, then Haha. :)

Doubt most tow truck drivers (towing cars for illegal parking in red zones or handicap zones) care in CA if it has AWD badges or not, they will ignore badges. Different story if a car owner is having car towed because of mechanical problem, then I order a flat bed via AAA.

Just to add another data point: I just debadged my 2014 GT a month or so ago. I used fishing line instead of floss, but they came right off. I then used a microfiber cloth to wipe away the residue, followed by some waxing over the area. Looks fine.

Cheers.
Any particular kind/brand of fishing line? I've seen this suggestion before, but know exactly nothing about fishing. :) Sadly. :(

The trick is to have the surface hot (blow drier) so the heat will lower the adhesive property and the thick double stick tape will come off in one whole piece. Floss and any thin fishing line will work. Though with heat, the badges will come off with just some prying using your fingers alone. GooGone will rid of whatever adhesive is left, which should be none if you use heat. The center Mazda emblem will have pins if I recall correctly.

Congrats curious if you are going to hook it up. I like that Volvo.

The trick is to have the surface hot (blow drier) so the heat will lower the adhesive property and the thick double stick tape will come off in one whole piece. Floss and any thin fishing line will work. Though with heat, the badges will come off with just some prying using your fingers alone. GooGone will rid of whatever adhesive is left, which should be none if you use heat. The center Mazda emblem will have pins if I recall correctly.

^ What this user said. I actually used plastidip and painted the rear emblems a few times. First few times I didn't like it, so I rubbed it off with a towel, and I didn't even need a blow dryer, the emblems were slowly loosening up and I managed to remove the AWD emblem; go figure.

pffffft...the CX-5 is what tow trucks call for when they get stuck.

As for debadging, I have done quite a few vehicles, and I also use fishing line. One tip I can give is take your time and try to pull the emblem off evenly on all sides. If you get one edge of an emblem loose and get impatient and pry that one edge up, you might gouge the paint with the other edge, especially if that other edge has a sharp point on it, such as an "A" has on the bottom.

for someone who debadges every car you own then you should have a solid idea on how to debadge the cx5, just saying...

for someone who debadges every car you own then you should have a solid idea on how to debadge the cx5, just saying...

I was mostly wondering if Mazda used clips under their badges. My assumption was not but I wanted to be sure.

Just wondering what this adds to the conversation? Trying to get post count up? I understood the question. I was thinking about taking off at least the skyactive badge, but wondering if it had pegs on back.

Back