Replacement tires for stock 19?

tdman

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
I look around and there're lots of discussion about this but I haven't see anyone try 245/50/19 for the stock 19.

According to tire rack 235/50/19 and 245/50/19 will fit the 19 OEM . The result I got from the miata tire calculation site seem like the 245/50/19 fit best for the 19 OEM with only -0.3% on the speedo compare to -1.7% for the 235/50/19. The 235/55/19 is off too at +1.5% (tire rack not recommend this size). Price wise they're almost the same. The 245 also has almost the same sizewall height as the stock Toyo. I'm wondering how much this size would affect MPG, acceleration, cornering?

I'm wondering how much this size would affect MPG, acceleration, cornering?

I think the only factor that will have a quantifiable change will be mileage. Mazda puts these 225s on there to reduce rolling resistance, and going to a wider tire is going to have an affect. Maybe a very small one, but something. You might feel a difference in the cornering but I can't imagine you'll notice much of any change to acceleration with only a 0.3% oversize.

I look around and there're lots of discussion about this but I haven't see anyone try 245/50/19 for the stock 19.

According to tire rack 235/50/19 and 245/50/19 will fit the 19 OEM . The result I got from the miata tire calculation site seem like the 245/50/19 fit best for the 19 OEM with only -0.3% on the speedo compare to -1.7% for the 235/50/19. The 235/55/19 is off too at +1.5% (tire rack not recommend this size). Price wise they're almost the same. The 245 also has almost the same sizewall height as the stock Toyo. I'm wondering how much this size would affect MPG, acceleration, cornering?

The first question I would have, would be: "What are you trying to accomplish with changing tire size?"
Do you want to make the ride / handling smoother or crisper? Do you want more MPG or don't care?
With this information we can then go forward

Also, for what it is worth, you can call or text chat online with the company that you mentioned, they are very good at discussing different options

Last edited:
Do you want to make the ride / handling smoother or crisper? Do you want more MPG or don't care?

I'm looking for better handling so crisper, I do care about MPG but if the change is small I'm ok with it, the weight of the wider tires would be one of the cause. I figure I asked about this size here see if others modified theirs wheels have any input.

What style of tire are you looking for? By your location, I'm guessing winter or all season.

I'm looking for all season or summer, there's this tires on tire rack P Zero Nero All Season seem good for this size and not a bad price. I have a set of winter tires so this would be for spring to fall use.

For considerable better handling you will have to go with a wider rim. I went with a 19 x 7.5 with the 245/50-19s.

Have not looked backed. Awesome handling and same MPGs because PIAA wheels I got were weighed less than stock, good compromise ;-)

cx-5_side.jpg

For considerable better handling you will have to go with a wider rim. I went with a 19 x 7.5 with the 245/50-19s.

Have not looked backed. Awesome handling and same MPGs because PIAA wheels I got were weighed less than stock, good compromise ;-)

cx-5_side.jpg

Are those the wheels Michael was selling?

No. I got them straight from PIAA Japan for 50%! They retailed for $760ea. One look and you can tell these wheels are Japanese - quality is superb and the Hyper Black finish flawless. Happy here (cheers)

is.aspx

I like the look of the stock 19 so my other question would be for the people who keeping their 19 OEM would you go with wider tires or getting the same stock size tires when it time to replace if they cost about the same?

No. I got them straight from PIAA Japan for 50%! They retailed for $760ea. One look and you can tell these wheels are Japanese - quality is superb and the Hyper Black finish flawless. Happy here (cheers)

[]
o they look tight with the silver paint

Back