Annual car' service

Z0RrO

:
Mazda, CX-5, GS
I call my dealership for an oil change. They told me the car is due for his first annual car' service. The cost of this servicing is 220$. I am wondering the following:

1- is it necessary (the car has 20 000 km) ?
2- is it too expensive ?
3- if I skip this servicing, will it void my warranty ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Look in your owners manual, and see what it says needs to be done for the mileage that you're at.
Then compare that to what the dealer says "needs" to be done for the $220 they are going to charge you.

Is this the first new car you've ever owned?

BC.

Yea I stopped by at 30k 200$ to change air filter (not appli able here, aftermarket), cabin air filter will do myself oil change which i was already recent on. Trans is sealed, and joints are sealed no fluid swap needed or lube. Aside froim oil change you are paying 120 for filter swaps lol.

Looking at the Canada owners manual, and assuming schedule 2 (the more severe of the 2 levels), there is nothing due at 20,000 km or 12 months other than oil changes and some easy inspections. For a better opinion we'd need to know what specifically the dealer is proposing to do for you. But there cannot be any warranty issues since you have not missed any scheduled work as long as you've been having the oil changed on time.

Some dealers have their own agenda to make more money. If your owners manual doesn't recomend an "annual" service then it is not required. Ask for the oil & filter change ONLY. Ed

It's worth looking at your battery water. I was considering getting a capacitor because my LED's were starting to dim during certain music (1000w amp). The guy at the audio/electronics shop I use mentioned Optima batteries as they have less voltage drop. Reminded me that I never checked the battery water (guessing the dealer doesn't either because it was never brought up at oil changes). Each cell was at about half or less.

My dealer was pushing for a 20k service also,I didn't see anything in the manual that needed doing that I haven't done. They didn't mention the price but I can imagine since they charge $99 for the "free" oil change.

Mine has been on the road for almost a year and a half, I'm at about 17,000 KM and the dealer has changed the oil three times in that period. Nothing else has been done. That said at the bottom of my last invoice they recommend in 4 months (or 8,000K) a comprehensive service for $198 + tax. They don't say what its for, but I'm sure its the usual, check/top up fluids, lube door hinges and locks, inspect brakes/lubricate as necessary, rotate tire (if needed) etc.

My dealer (Freeway Mazda) shows this as SERVICE B
Recommended every 24,000 km or every 12 months

Inspect and clean brakes discs and pads, front and rear
Lubricate caliper rails/pins
Inspect A/C operation

would also include SERVICE A:
Recommended every 8,000 km or every 4 months

Replace engine oil; Replace oil filter
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect brake fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid and coolant level
Inspect all tires - inflation and wear
Lubricate all locks and hinges
Rotate tires (priced separately)

It won't void your warranty if you don't do it right away, but it is your responsibility to maintain your vehicle, you should probably get it done, but its not critical to do right away, I'd say you can safely delay several months without harm.

The one that is important is to lubricate caliper rails/pins, this will keep the calipers moving smoothly and help prevent uneven wear of the brake pads and reduce noise (squeaky brakes). We also have a Honda Civic and I get this service done once a year otherwise the brakes make clunking noises when applied. Rotating tires is also a good idea if you're at 20,000km and its never been done.

Last edited:
Battery is maintenance free on mine.

That $220 service sounds like a scam to me.

Latest posts

Back