Winter tire dilemma

I recently purchased DM-V's for my CX-5 and rims from Costco. I opted to buy the rims for my specific car instead of the universal 17" rims. I quickly noticed that whenever I'm on the highway and I'm going above 100 the car feels like it's being pulled left and right, yet the car is going straight. It usually happens at least one time when I'm on the highway and it usually lasts about 10 seconds.. If I change lanes it will stop. I took the vehicle back and had them reallign the tires and I still had the problem. I eventually talked with the manager at Costco and he said it's normal. According to him it happens when you don't purchase OR rims from the car dealership. Can anyone she'd some light on this? Worst case scenario I will return the rims and put my winter tires on my stock rims.

Last edited:
Sounds weird to me, I just did my Honda with steel wheels and winter tires and if anything it drives better than the old wheels. Something either isn't the right size, balance or installed correctly. I'd be taking them back and getting proper rims that fit.

Your tires are good, but I'd seriously question what's going on with the fit of the wheels. Hub-centric is good, but only if they actually are exactly 67.1mm.

Your tires are good, but I'd seriously question what's going on with the fit of the wheels. Hub-centric is good, but only if they actually are exactly 67.1mm.

They said I could return my rims and they will put on my stock rims on free of charge. Sadly the point of me getting winters rims was so I wouldn't have to worry about my rims geting all scuffed up. I'm considering taking them up on the offer and then going elsewhere to buy new rims...

I bought steel rims from Costco spec to fit my Toyota while back and I got vibration like crazy at high speed, brought them back for adjustment and it still happen. I finally returned the rims and bought the steel rims from the dealer, no problem since. Look around for a used set of Mazda rims on kijiji, I seen lots for them for sale in the Toronto area, most of them will fit the CX-5.

Do you have the costco rim code? (something like X44755 or X44799) .. you should look it up and make sure it's actually the proper 67.1mm (although you should be able to tell just by looking at the rim)

I sold some old Mazda6 wheels on Kijiji in Kitchener earlier in the fall and there were tons of other OEM mazda wheels for sale, steel and alloy.

I was told when I bought my winter wheel tire package that the universal wheels will do that. They recommended I go with the 16 inches which are Oems that will fit properly. Happy to say no issues whatsoever.

I also had a set of DM-V1’s installed at Costco. The location I went to (Etobicoke) did not have the hub-centric rims, so I got the universal ones (X99134N). My CX-5 easily survived yesterday’s first major snow fall this winter without any issue, and I did not observe the problem you had on highway when going above 100 km/h.

i also have a setup similar to this, dm-v1 from costco, but on my old mazda black 17 inch steel rims that i had on my mazdaspeed 3 for 5 winters.

I don't think those wheels are hub centric, since there is a gap around the hub.
So for proper installation, the lugs must bet tightened in a star pattern, to keep the wheel centered.

no problems so far for me.

I bought alloy wheels for it. I don't have any problems going 110-120Km/h
Good Year Nordic Winter Tires
Touren TR3 wheel in Black w/ Machined Face
Total $1300- installed by Canadian Tire.
I dropped the wheel size to 17s from 19s. 225/65/17

See Image:
2013-12-19 12.50.23.jpg

It could be the actual nut bolts. They might not be sitting properly in the slots. Check it out. For me I had this problem with my Honda. Turns out I couldn't use the honda nuts with the aftermarket rims. They didn't sit properly

I was told when I bought my winter wheel tire package that the universal wheels will do that. They recommended I go with the 16 inches which are Oems that will fit properly. Happy to say no issues whatsoever.

Do you have the exact specs on those wheels? Are they the X40891? I was looking at those myself but was wondering what the width and offset were?

Back