My Winter Setup - Blizzak DM-V1 and Mazda 6 Wheels

TreyP

2018 Soul Red AWD Touring CX-5
EDIT: Here is a performance review after this morning's drive in.

I put these on at the perfect time. The forecast for last night and today was "Icy", which is the first time I've ever seen that word used as a weather condition (as opposed to a driving condition). What it translated into was rain early last evening, turning to snow over night, with a temp of 24*F when I started the drive in this morning. The snow was between 1-2" deep, and the roads were a mix of slushy and packed/icy snow and ice. So even though it was not a deep snow, it was definitely slippery conditions.

My drive consists of everything from highway to single lane back roads. On the highway, no one was traveling faster than 40 mph, and it was fairly well plowed, so no great story to report there.

The real test came on the back roads that had not been plowed yet, but had been travelled quite a bit, so the snow was packed down to ice, with more snow on top of it. Because I wanted to test the tires, I did push it once or twice in areas where I knew I would be safe if things started to go bad. For example, I came to a stop sign, and tried for a jack rabbit start from there. I might as well have been on dry pavement because the car gave no sign that anything was wrong, it just took off like a shot.

Since there were no cars around, I also stopped halfway up the steepest hill there is and tried for another fast take off. This time I did feel a very minor slip, but the good thing is that the car did not go off track one bit. It stayed pointed perfectly straight in the direction I was going and recovered in less than 1 second.

There were maybe 2 or 3 other times when I was going a little faster than I should have for the conditions when I felt (again) an extremely small bit of slippage, but the car/tires recovered virtually instantly with no correction needed from me.

At no time did I feel that I was in any danger whatsoever, which I know for sure that I would have been had I still had the stock all-seasons on. I would say that short of studded snows, this was as good as it gets. When I parked the car I felt relaxed and very impressed with the Blizzak DM-V1 tires.

Bottom line is, winter driving is something to be taken seriously, regardless of your setup. You need to adjust your driving to the conditions, but a good AWD/snow tire setup will go a long way towards making the trip less tense while getting you to your destination safely.

----------------------

See post #6 for a deep snow review.

----------------------

(Previously posted...)

I had these Blizzak DM-V1 snows mounted onto the Mazda 3 wheels earlier this week and planned to put them on the CX-5 today. As it turned out, I wasn't a day too early.

IMG_1252_zps68b4e285.jpg

Getting started...
IMG_1251_zps35aec21d.jpg

A closer look:
IMG_1253_zpsfa6eac9c.jpg

IMG_1254_zps8946be07.jpg

Looks like a good bite
IMG_1255_zps8a918576.jpg

A comparison shot
IMG_1256_zpsed6c5e2a.jpg

I swapped out the black center caps from the OEM wheels, and used my black lugs that were on the summer setup for a little contrast.
IMG_1257_zps50e5e878.jpg

IMG_1258_zps0ad2bcc8.jpg

And, done! Obviously these look just like the CX-5 GT wheels, but they are 17"
Now I just have to decide which wheels I like better. I may end up with another set of Mazda 6 wheels for my summers before the spring, but I have all winter to think about that.
IMG_1261_zps78a9c035.jpg

IMG_1262_zps927243a7.jpg

Last edited:
Does Mazda6 wheel have the same offset as CX-5 wheel?
CX-5 offset is 50
Mazda 6 offset is 52

That was the only difference in the specs actually. They look about the same with the naked eye, and they don't rub anywhere, so its all good.

NOTE: Now that I have had a chance to test them out, I have added a performance review to the original post.

Here are some pics of what I dealt with this morning, along with a deep snow review:

IMG_1270_zpsf6c03fc3.jpg

IMG_1271_zpsf7a5d430.jpg

There was around 12-14", as shown in these pics:

IMG_1273_zpsbe03c5d5.jpg

IMG_1274_zps169bc395.jpg

And THIS is my driveway, which is around 1/10 of a mile long, and maybe a 40 degree angle. Only one car had driven up it (a 4x4 Nissan Pathfinder). My goal was to see if I could make it out before I plowed, just for the test of it.

IMG_1272_zpsee86f7ea.jpg

This is obviously after I plowed and sanded, but it shows that not only did I have to go up the driveway, but I first had to make not one, but two sharp turns through the deep snow with no running start. After the first turn, it immediately goes uphill, then I make the second sharp turn and begin the real climb.

IMG_1276_zps2d2ed18b.jpg

So, how did it do?? Well, the snow was deep enough that the car was literally snowplowing uphill, and I could see that the undercarriage deeply scraped the snow all the way up the driveway.
I wish I could say that there was zero slippage, but that would be stretching the truth...a lot. I felt like I was on ice all the way up the driveway for sure, but at no point did the car slow down or stop. I'm pretty sure if I had stopped completely halfway up the drive I might have had to back down, or at least struggle to get going again, but honestly I wasn't brave enough to risk losing my momentum because my goal was to see if this had been a Monday morning and I was late for work, could I have made it out. The answer is a definite yes. This was an extreme test, IMO, and as far as I'm concerned it was a success. Sure it slipped some, but let's face it, this car (or any AWD) was not meant to be slugging uphill through over a foot of unplowed snow.

Aren't those, Mazda 3 GT wheels?
(ok, I'm over it now) (whistle)

Mazda uses the same wheels designs for different cars, so they very well may be used on the GT 3 as well as the 6.

Last edited:
lol...I guess no one cares about the point of this thread. (yupnope)

I didn't weigh the wheels, but since they are both 10 spoke OEM Mazda wheels I'm guessing they probably aren't too much different.

Personally, the longer I have them on the more I like them. I'm probably going to find another set for my summer set up and sell the stock wheels.

hi TreyP,

Great review... we are getting our new 2014 CX-5 GT AWD in soul red this upcoming Dec-26. I already got my set of Kosei K4R 17" wheels and my Blizzaks DM-V1 are scheduled to be installed on the 28th at Costco.

So far we have had a few snow storms here in Alberta (Canada) and definitively looking forward to commute and travel to the Rockies on our new CX-5.

While test driving the CX-5 GT AWD, my wife drove it in an icy/snowy steep back alley and managed to climb it without issues. I even asked her to come to a complete stop half way up the hill; then she proceeded as if on a traffic light... and no issues whatsoever!

Thanks for the post and definitively, winter tires = grip during winter driving!

I just installed DM-V1's on my 2014 GT. The 19" Toyo's were pretty terrible on ice and just OK on snow. The DM-V1's on the other hand are terrific! I bought a set of 17" CX-5 wheels on Ebay for $500 and got 17" DM-V1's. The wheels were incredible in that they looked brand new (which worried me a little bit since they came from NJ and I was envisioning some poor guy's CX-5 sitting there up on concrete blocks! -JK). But after hearing other folks' tales of wobbling aftermarket wheels, I am glad that I went with OE wheels for the Blizzaks and was pleasantly surprised to get them for the price I did.

The stock Toyo's are terrible on Ice, I could barely stop. Had to get winter tires & rims.....
Good Year Nordic Winter Tires
Touren TR3 wheel in Black w/ Machined Face
Total $1300- installed by Canadian Tire.
I dropped the wheel size to 17s from 19s. 225/65/17

Night and Day difference with these tires. Very happy with them.

See image:
2013-12-19 12.50.23.jpg

The stock Toyo's are terrible on Ice, I could barely stop. Had to get winter tires & rims.....
Good Year Nordic Winter Tires
Touren TR3 wheel in Black w/ Machined Face
Total $1300- installed by Canadian Tire.
I dropped the wheel size to 17s from 19s. 225/65/17

Night and Day difference with these tires. Very happy with them.

See image:
View attachment 205694

I wanted to buy rims from CT 2 month ago, but it was difficult for me to find a set of rims.

I did the research about your rims:

Finish: Black W/ Machined Face
Colour: Black
Wheel Diameter: 17.00 in / po
Wheel Width: 7.00 in / po
Bolt Pattern1: 5-100 mm
Bolt Pattern 2: 5-114.3 mm
Hub Bore: 72.62 mm
Offset: 40.00 mm
Backside Spacing: NA
Max Load: 1400 lb
Weight: 21.000 lb
Country of Origin: NA
Centricity: LugCentric / Centre en fonction des goujons

How can this rim to fit CX-5?

I've been giving my DM-V1 tires a workout the last few weeks and have been very impressed with them. Today our street was 2 inches of sleet and freezing rain. Anyone with all-seasons didn't get more than a few yards and then got stuck on the slippery stuff. Just got in my vehicle and was able to pull out and drive away relatively easy. Might go with studs next year if these winters start getting more intense. My 25 mile hike to work gets dicey even with these things.

Back