Winter weather mileage

bluefan

Just wondering what kind of MPGs people in a snowy, cold climate are getting compared to the summer/spring/fall temps and climate.

I dropped from an average of 23-24MPG down to 20-21MPG so far, and it hasn't even hit -20c yet!

So far I've dropped from 29.9 down to 29.5

I expect to lose 4-5 MPGs by the end of winter, based on my previous vehicles experience.

Yeah, mine has plummeted close to 20% since the cold weather has arrived. This is mostly due to the fact that the engine remains colder far longer on my relatively short commutes, and on this car, engine warmup seems to have a huge impact on milleage. I did a 400 miles trip last weekend and did almost as well as in the summer (slight difference probably because of the winter tires).

I am getting 10.5 l/ 100km and I live in SK, similar conditions as of the OP. yes, It is low in winter.

I believe winter blend gas = lower mileage. Also denser air for a tall wide suv,,,

I go from about 9 l/100 km to 12 or more in winter. For me, my rush hour drive is about 15 mins longer in winter just sitting and idling in traffic. Obviously an extra half hour of idling while travelling a distance of 0 makes mileage really bad.

Last edited:
I believe winter blend gas = lower mileage. Also denser air for a tall wide suv,,,
And driving though snow for those of us that have to do it.
And a cold engine will have more friction until the oil loosens up -> more friction = more fuel consumed.
And heavier tires for those of us that put them on.

Concerning temperature, what I gatter is that the Skyactive waits for the engine temperature to become optimal before engaging the Atkinson cycle mode (by changing valve timing). The Atkinson cycle is one of the main reasons the Skyactive engine is so sfficient. So until the engine is warm, it behaves like any other gas guzzling SUV out there. More info on the Atkinson cycle (the CX5 is mentionned on the page as well):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

I had 4 people in the car with some cargo, steel rims, winter tires and I got 541 km last weekend trip mostly highway, the fuel light was on. It came to around 9.6L/100km or 25 MPG.

Mine goes from 29.5 down to 27 or less here is IA.

The crappy thing about all of this is that I have research and found that they don't even sell the engine block heater here in the US. So even if you wanted to plug your car in to lessen the warm up time and overall consumption, you can't unless you go aftermarket or rig something. Ridiculous! North Dakota is colder the many parts of Canada!

Also would love to have a grill cover to allow the engine to keep temp easier...cant find any product offerings there. Planning to pick up some corrugated black plastic to cut to shape.

I go from about 9 l/100 km to 12 or more in winter. For me, my rush hour drive is about 15 mins longer in winter just sitting and idling in traffic. Obviously an extra half hour of idling while travelling a distance of 0 makes mileage really bad.

Yeah, our city sucks for that. With some slower and more disciplined driving, I've average 11.7L/100KM last couple fill ups.

We had a pretty good cold snap last week. For 5 days it never got above 10 degrees F or -12 C, the lowest the temp fot was -20 F or -29 C. My mileage dropped from 34 MGP to 28 MPG. I think a lot of that is warming up the car and defrosting the windows.

It seems as if all of Canada and a good chunk of the U.S. is in a deep freeze atm
Bad for us who want to "sip fuel", but looking forward to more snow handling capabilities with a good snowfall predicted this weekend in S. Ontario and the NE U.S.

My 2014 2.5L GT has been drinking about 0.8 extra L/100km in colder weather. Interestingly, it's actually a bit more efficient in -10 to -15 degrees C than it was at around 5 degrees C. I'm happy, as my '10 FWD CX-7 with the base engine used to drink almost 2 extra L/100km in the cold. Both CUVs are on Blizzak WS-70 tires in the winter (and the same wheels are used on the winter tires, 2004 OEM Mazda3 Sport GT 17" wheels) , so that part of the comparison is fair.

I never warm up the engine or cabin on idle; waste of gas IMHO. I just start the engine, wait 5 seconds and drive. The engine warms up much quicker when the car is in movement, anyhow.

Last edited:
With the combination of horrible batch of winter gasoline mix and below freezing cold weather (long rich warm up times), my average MPG seems to have dropped at least one MPG. The winter mix is definitely noticeable.

Mine has been in the 28-29 range, until I changed how I drive. I have slowed it down on the interstate. I normally do 70-75 and average right at 30mpg, but I have changed to 65 and my mpg's have appeared to go back to 30. I am not through a full tank so I can't tell for sure but I am on track after 1/2 tank.

Mine has dropped about 4-5MPG. This is a huge change as we went from warm (60 degrees) garage parking and summer weather to parking outside (temporary), snow tires, winter fuel, and cold starts at 5 degrees F.

I was doing ~8.2L/100km and now seem to be in the 8.5-7L/100km range, so down 2-4mpg it seems.

I have a brand new CX-5 AWD GT and am getting 22 MPG with almost 80% city driving. I was hoping to get closer to 24-25 and hope it gets better. I am in the cold North East so the weather may be playing a role.

Back