CAD $1200 Too much for winter tires + steel rims

:
2013 CX5-GS, AWD
My dealer has quoted me:

We are currently offering a winter package for the CX-5 in a 17" for $1,200.00 plus taxes.
This includes the following:

4-Gislaved Nord Frost 100
4-Black steel wheels
4-tire levies ($5.00 per tire)
mounted, balanced and installed

Taxes would be approx $144 (so $1344) don't know if this includes the environmental levy of $5(?) per tire.

A local tire shop quoted me Alloy 5 spoke wheels, adapter rings, and Nokian Hakapelita tires for about $1,308 ($1,465 after taxes)

Anyone know if the Gislaved tires are worth this amount of money? (considering the steel wheels are probably $200 for all four.) They're charging $250 per tire.

At these prices, I'm leaning towards not getting winter tires and just relying on my Geolanders and AWD. We rarely get snow, and if we do, its only a few centimeters and lasts no longer than a day or too (of course total chaos when it happens) What we get more of is black ice and slush and rain so cold wet weather performance is best. I am thinking I'd be better throwing a set of Nokian All Weather WRG on the car when the Geolanders wear out.

If I had to do it, I'd probably go with the tire shop as at least I'd get alloy wheels and not fugly black steel. The price difference is marginal. Methinks the dealer is padding a lot of profit into their price.

Interesting how tires cost more in the great white north:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/cheap-u-s-tires-on-canadians-holiday-shopping-lists-1.2432412

You're getting ripped off

I got Conti- Barum Polaris 3, 16" steelies, installed and everything for $800

Agree with Jeremy..sounds pricey. I got some 17" alloys with hankook ipikes for $900 mounted balanced and shipped from discount tire.

Those are both amazing snow tires, but you can find them cheaper. AND given this statement there is no way I would put on snows in the first place:

We rarely get snow, and if we do, its only a few centimeters and lasts no longer than a day or too

Might be that snow tires are more expensive in BC because you guys don't need as many, but from my perspective in Ontario, 16" mazda steels should cost $50 each, which would mean they're charging you $245 a piece for the tires, install and balance. That's a lot.

You should pay $50 per (steel) wheel, ~$150-175 per tire (balance & install in) and then your appropriate environmental fees and tax. Should come in a little under a grand for a set (and you still haven't gotten a fantastic deal, just haven't gotten ripped off). More if you want alloys.

Agree with Jeremy..sounds pricey. I got some 17" alloys with hankook ipikes for $900 mounted balanced and shipped from discount tire.

He's in Canada.. That $900 package would have a $200 customs fee for crossing the border and it still might beat out a local tire shop at the end of the day. It's harder to come out ahead on snow tires, but if you want something specific for summers? Order something from tirerack and just pay the fee.

It is expensive... Since your conditions are not so bad, I would get a second tier winter tire (not top tier like the Gislaved or Nokian). I would go GoodYear WRT or General Altimax Arctic (both are good and will last 4-5 winters, especially the WRT).

If you buy them at your dealer, don't forget the Mazda Get-a-Grip event, which saves you 50$, plus Goodyear's 80$ mail in rebate. I got a quote in a dealer in Qubec for 845$ all included (except for the wheels). If you add 200$ for the wheels + the 80$ mail in rebate, you'd be good for around 950$.

Just throwing in some ideas!

Mazdagetagrip.JPG

I did, and cool I can find tires and steel wheels for $744 mounted and balanced - the problem is that they want (believe it or not) $512 to ship to my location (near Vancouver BC.) So the total for Tirerack.com is $1244 (and I would get dinged an additional 12% tax when they cross the border and perhaps some other fee or levy.

Might be that snow tires are more expensive in BC because you guys don't need as many, but from my perspective in Ontario, 16" mazda steels should cost $50 each, which would mean they're charging you $245 a piece for the tires, install and balance. That's a lot.

You should pay $50 per (steel) wheel, ~$150-175 per tire (balance & install in) and then your appropriate environmental fees and tax. Should come in a little under a grand for a set (and you still haven't gotten a fantastic deal, just haven't gotten ripped off). More if you want alloys.

He's in Canada.. That $900 package would have a $200 customs fee for crossing the border and it still might beat out a local tire shop at the end of the day. It's harder to come out ahead on snow tires, but if you want something specific for summers? Order something from tirerack and just pay the fee.

Yeah the problem around here is I may not need heavy duty winter tires for most days, however, I'll be confined to the lower mainland and not be able to go up into the mountains (Coquihalla summit) without winter tires. It gets pretty extreme up there (we've experience snow pockets on the side of the road as late as June!) I'm going to keep looking around to see what my cheapest alternative is.

Yeah the problem around here is I may not need heavy duty winter tires for most days, however, I'll be confined to the lower mainland and not be able to go up into the mountains (Coquihalla summit) without winter tires. It gets pretty extreme up there (we've experience snow pockets on the side of the road as late as June!) I'm going to keep looking around to see what my cheapest alternative is.

You should try making a trip south of the border since it's so close.

I did, and cool I can find tires and steel wheels for $744 mounted and balanced - the problem is that they want (believe it or not) $512 to ship to my location (near Vancouver BC.) So the total for Tirerack.com is $1244 (and I would get dinged an additional 12% tax when they cross the border and perhaps some other fee or levy.

I believe from tirerack shipping policy,the price should include all taxes and import duty so you don't have to pay when you get the package. Few places in Canada you can try below and they're located in BC. Also try kijiji, I got a good used set for a really good price.

http://www.1010tires.com/
http://tiretrends.com/
http://www.kxwheels.com/

So I never did make a decision on tires and the snow is falling. Its not bad, mostly slushy snow with ice on the side streets. The AWD does a lot to compensate for the short comings of the Yoko G91s. However, I notice their braking performance is IMHO sub-par, with the anti-lock kicking in even under moderate braking. Well the snow will be gone by tomorrow anyway, so no big deal, but I'll definitely need to make up my mind for next year when the Yokos are worn down even more.

Latest posts

Back