Oil Change Question

Pistons

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GS
Hey guys, I'm approaching 5000k on my 2014 CX-5 and have heard/read some conflicting things on when to get my first oil change. What are your thoughts about this? Also, is going to the dealer to get this service done in my best interest? Do they use a specific type of oil that other mechanic shops wouldn't have? Thanks!

Dealer will have recommended Mazda oil (0-20 w/ moly in US) and use OEM filter so you don't have to worry about any potential problems that may crop up with your warranty.

My closest dealer is a 120 mi round trip so I've stockpiled some Mazda oil, filters and crush washers for times when a trip to the dealer is too inconvenient.

All depends on what kind of driving you're doing (city/hwy) and how many miles you put on a year. I do mostly suburban/city driving to the tune of 10k miles/year. I use maintenance schedule 2 and change oil/filter every 5k miles (six months). I do it myself using Mazda super-moly oil and oe filter. It costs me less than $40 each time. Cheap!

5,000 mile oil changes using a top grade synthetic oil seems counter productive but, if Mazda wants it, so be it. I just will make sure I get my used oil to a recycle facility like AP or Walmarts. Ed

Dealer will have recommended Mazda oil (0-20 w/ moly in US) and use OEM filter so you don't have to worry about any potential problems that may crop up with your warranty.

Just want to point out that you do NOT have to go to the dealer in order to protect your warranty rights. At least not in the US. Just keep receipts showing that the changes were done with appropriate items (does not have to be Mazda oil or Mazda brand filter) at appropriate times and you'll be fine.

The first few will be done by the dealer incase of any warranty issues. I'd rather be booking the car in a bit early than slightly over just incase they try to make silly claims.

Back