NewZoomer

:
Mazda CX5 Akera
Hi all
Been lurking here while I sorted out what I wanted in new car and would like to thank every one for the info you make available.

I've just picked up a 2.5 Akera (basically a GT w/tech) and I'm really enjoying it after 30 years of Toyota Landcruisers and Prados.

I took delivery last Thursday and had a 1600 km (about 990 miles) drive home from the dealer so I had plenty of time to form a first impression of the car. Thought it might help others if I shared my thoughts here.

What I like:
Looks - goes without saying

Comfort - had planned a 2 day drive home, but I stopped along the way for the 1000km check and when that was done I felt rested enough to jump in for another 600km.

Handling - superb, real fun to drive.

Power to weight - found the 2.5 fine. It was given a workout passing many road trains (about 54m or 170 odd feet long) and I never felt the need for more power.

Transmission - my auto is sweet. I really don't notice it shifting

Finish - I think it's well put together, at least the equal of Toyota which is a compliment in itself.

HIDs - great, high beam is equal to the auxiliary Lightforce driving lights on the Prado and the light temperature is very easy on my eyes.

Aircond - very efficient in temps up to 46*C (115 F) encountered on the trip

Could be better
Auto High beam - worked fine in the city, but on outback roads the glare off yellow flood way signs kept dipping the lights. It also struggled on winding and dippy sections of road but in fairness, the OM does note these limitations.

Fuel tank - would love it to be bigger, particularly after the 180l (47 US gal) on the Prado, but still got home on two fills, albeit with the low fuel light on.

Sun roof - auto close would be nice (nit pickin now)

My thoughts on the "lemon issues"
Bonnet shake - not on mine, popped it up to 160kmh on a quiet bit of road and nothing.

Drivers mirror shake - don't notice it when I glance in the mirror. It is there if I really look for it but it is certainly not a problem on my car.

Sound system (Bose) - sounds great to me and meets my needs. iPhone steams fine by BT so that meets my needs too. Just use USB to charge. BT phone works fine too.

SatNav - had a Tom Tom portable which is identical to the CX5 system. Works fine for me. Can't comment on live services, not available here.

Rough idle - not here.

iStop - works well

Other stuff - It's probably worth noting that a number of grumbles posted here seem to be user error. Read the OM from front to back and many petty issues will be resolved.

Sooty tail pipe - for what it's worth, I choose to run mine on 98 RON and the tail pipe is whistle clean

So, how do I feel about my CX5 - very pleased.

Any way, hope this feedback is useful to someone, and hey, thanks for a great forum.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi NewZoomer!

Well... guess what? I am also a new Zoom Zoom member! Last Saturday my wife and I closed a deal on a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech. Package. It hasn't been delivered, because we decided to go with the Soul Red option, which was not available around town. We got it for an extended test drive, picked it up on Saturday early in the morning, and returned it in the evening...

I've been reading the forum posts for the last couple of weeks and you're right "It's probably worth noting that a number of grumbles posted here seem to be user error. Read the OM from front to back and many petty issues will be resolved". For example, I have a portable Garmin GPS... and people complaining about the GPS unit not rotating while turning around town... well, it's just an option on the GPS menu!

We loved the way it handled, we even used to move from our old apartment to our new house... great with the cargo, easy to fold down the seats and my wife was impressed with the smooth gear changes of the transmission. I've been a "manual transmission" lover, but this AUTO transmission and VW's DSG left me (eek).

I am already getting the aftermarket rims for the winter tires, because with Canada's winter you better play safe.

Thanks for your post and hopefully you'll enjoy your CX-5 FOR YEARS TO COME.

Welcome NewZoomer, and congrats on the new GT. Good early report, thanks.

btw-Why the preference/choice of 2.5 petrol versus the turbo diesel engine option?

btw-Why the preference/choice of 2.5 petrol versus the turbo diesel engine option?

Hi CX
The car will principally be my wife's daily driver and after years of diesel off-roaders I wanted her to have something a bit more refined.

The 2.5 offers almost comparable performance to diesel and given that we don't tow trailers (I can use my work car for that) we don't really need that all of that torque. So, for me the key decision points were no more smelly, oily filler nozzles for the bride when she fuels up and a saving of $3,000 on the purchase price.

Diesel engines are great and have served me very well over many years travelling through 10s of thousands of kilometres of harsh and rugged terrain but that's not a big part of our lifestyle any more.

Cheers

NewZoomer - Thanks for reply and honest feedback.

Enjoy the CX-5.

Back