Roof Rails

Rich 65

:
2009 6 GT, 2014 CX-5 GT
A lot has been said about the "ugly" chrome colored rails. I must say that they look great on my black CX-5. Car is dirty right now, so I will post a picture when she looks better.

Same here. Unlike the majority, I actually use roof racks! Glad they are an OEM accessory.
Without side rails:

a month later with dealer-mounted side rails and crossbars:
The crossbars do create a noticable increase in wind noise at highway speeds. I removed them and discovered how to stow them under the rear seat so they're available when needed.

Stowed under seat?

I removed them and discovered how to stow them under the rear seat so they're available when needed.

Stowed them under the seat? Please give more details. Biggest problem I had with roof rack on my last car was no good place to put the crossbars when not in use.

I don't have a CX5 yet, but have been looking at them; none of the local dealers seem to order this car with the roof rails, so i've never even seen a pair. thanks for the pics. Do you know how these install? Someone on the classified site is selling a pair for $190, and I'm wondering how difficult the installation would be.

thanks in advance for any info.

I don't have a CX5 yet, but have been looking at them; none of the local dealers seem to order this car with the roof rails, so i've never even seen a pair. thanks for the pics. Do you know how these install? Someone on the classified site is selling a pair for $190, and I'm wondering how difficult the installation would be.

thanks in advance for any info.

Search the How-To sub forum, someone posted the install manual. It's pretty easy, but you do have to take the weather seal plastic trim on the roof off to cut them to fit the stock roof rails.

I'm the one, who is selling it. Mine came with it, but I like the car much better without it. I will never use it anyway. I would like to have the basic trim parts, in place of the rails. Price is negotiable.

Stowed them under the seat? Please give more details. Biggest problem I had with roof rack on my last car was no good place to put the crossbars when not in use.

Sure. There's just enough room for the crossbars under the rear seat cushion. I was able to fit them both in (one at a time) from the left rear door by simply inserting one end and 'feeling' a route that didn't hit any obstruction. It would be much easier if the cushion was removable. The crossbars need a T20 Torx wrench.

Back