car shifts with wind

I have noticed this as well. Compared to my CX7 it seems more susceptible to the wind.

The only time I've noticed a wind issue is when going over a tall bridge and a 15mph+ wind into the side of the car. Not nearly bad enough to slow down though. Ed

Tall vehicle I guess. My 4700 lb. Toyota Tundra would get pushed by cross winds too.

Yep, crosswind sensitivity is a bit higher than other SUVs that I've owned/driven.

Never noticed...Probably because my other vehicle is a Honda Element. If I sneeze out of the driver's side window in the Element, it changes lanes.

Can't say its any worse than my CR-V in that regard other than wind noise, but to me it feels more planted in general than most CUVs at speed.

Is it me or is the cx5 so light that when driving on the highway the slightest wind makes drift!

I haven't noticed that its any worse than my previous xtrails.

Naturally you have got to expect side winds to make an impact due to the profile of the car, but at a kerb weight of 1663kg for my model its not a problem.

The FWD petrol is in comparison a lot lighter, so you would expect that model to be affected more with side winds.

Lol. Thanks. So overall what do you rate your cx5 out of 10?

Superior driving dynamics make it a 9 for me in a field of mostly 6s and 7s:)
Paddle shifters and updated interior/info screen would make it 9.5/10 when value is factored in.

Last edited:
I think suspension has a lot to do with how much you notice a car being pushed by the wind. My parents have a Chevy Equinox. Externally, the is Equinox larger than the CX-5 (but it's disproportionately heavier, at over 5000lbs), but with much softer feeling suspension. I've driven it in some high winds, and it feels less stable than the ~3200lb CX-5.

All in all, I thought the CX-5 would be worse for this than it really is. Doesn't feel particularly different from my Mazda6.

I use to have a Ford Bronco-II (in the distant past) and it was sensitive to crosswinds too. I have to say that the CX5 is less so. Probably because of the wider stance and fatter tires.

Back