C-wheels Alloy Rim Wheels from Costco?

areacode514

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi everyone,

Just purchased a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring, and enjoying it very much.

I am considering getting alloy rim wheels for winter driving, in order to have the enhanced look of alloy rims as opposed to standard black steel wheels.

Has anyone had experience with purchasing C-wheels Alloy Rim Wheels from Costco?
http://www.costco.ca/C-wheels-Alloy-Rim-Wheels.product.100074517.html

Do they fit well for the CX-5?

A more general question:
As opposed to black steel wheels, the alloy rim wheels seem so spacious that they would let a lot of snow in them. Is that a risk worthwhile taking into account when deciding whether or not to get alloy rims?

For example, presume my car is parked on the street and a snow truck passes its rounds. It will create a snow bank and normally some of that snow will push up against the tires and the wheels. In the case of black steel wheels, there is usually not that much snow that can pile up "into the wheel". However, if I were to get alloy rims that only have a few spokes, I am presuming that the snow would more readily accumulate "in the wheel" and that I'd have to push it out somehow. Or is it really not as bad as I am imagining?

Last edited:
No idea about the wheels but having used both steel and alloy wheels in winter, the larger opening of the alloys is preferred. The larger opening is much easier to clean the snow out of. Many times snow gets pushed into the wheel from going through a snowbank or understeering around a corner. If it the slop freezes it can create a horribly unbalanced wheel. With an alloy wheel the snow/ice gets a better chance to come off on its own. If not it's easier to clean the wheel with a glove or brush between the spokes. The steel wheels were a pita to find a tool to get in the holes of the rim to clean it out effectively.

Also alloy wont rust as easy.

No personal experience, but I have always much preferred the classic 5-spoke design of alloy wheels. As rjdee says, they are MUCH easier to keep clean as well. I'm not really sure why the auto co's feel that they need to "re-design" their alloys every 2-3 years, as sometimes the designs are real stinkers.

BTW, one of the 5-spoke is very similar to these protege wheels I had a while back. Great looking wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 759
Back