Turn on foglight witout headlights

msimonov

:
CX-5 GT; 1985 RX-7 GSL
I have '14 GT CX-5. The foglights only come on when the light switch in the Auto position (and headlights are on) or when the light switch in headlight on position. I would like to be able to turn the foglights on when the light switch is in the parking lights postions. Anyone ever looked into this? I am hoping that this is something that is user configurable like the daytime running lights.

No way to do it other than re-configuring the wires. Best was is to jump the positive foglight relay wire to the positive tail light fuse wire. Donezo.

Not possible as far as I know. Most if not all cars in the US requires headlight to be on with fog lights, that's how it is wired/programmed.

SayNoToPistons, thanks for the feedback. But, if I understand, your approach would turn on the foglights everytime I turn on any exterior lights. Did I understand? I really want to be able to turn on the foglights when I want them, not whenever the exterior lights are on.

BTW, like you screen name. I have an 1985 RX-7 GSL, tastefully modded (IMO).

I assume you're on rx7club.com as well.

Doing it my way will give you full option to use them once the parking lights are switched on. There will be no power provided to the switch when the light stalk position is in FULL OFF. There are many ways to splice the power source.

I don't know how much more detailed I can get. Crack open your fuse box and look at the labeled fuse boxes and relays.

No way to do it other than re-configuring the wires. Best was is to jump the positive foglight relay wire to the positive tail light fuse wire. Donezo.

So by "jump" I assume you mean run a piece of wire between those points? Do you recommend a specific type of wire? Should the jump points be soldered?

Yup. Only what I said before. Preferably yes and heat shrunk.

Would this work?
Replace the 15A fuse for the taillights (#48 according to my manual) with one of these:
apm-af.jpg

then cut the positive wire of the fog relay and connecting/splicing the relay to the taillight fuse with a crimped connector (
Wire_connector.jpg
) and sealing/terminating the cut end of the positive relay wire.

If you use those, be sure to orient the fuse with the power source to the opposite side from the tap, to protect both circuits.

Not possible as far as I know. Most if not all cars in the US requires headlight to be on with fog lights, that's how it is wired/programmed.
Don't think so. Certainly my GM car allows fogs alone.

Point for all of this is that the "fog lights" are not really fog lights. They're just extra lights that drivers turn on 'cos they think it makes them look cool (when all it really does is blind oncoming drivers, especially in the dark when the roads are wet). All modern cars' foglights are totally useless in fog or for adding any additional light for the driver. Sigh.

Don't think so. Certainly my GM car allows fogs alone.

What modern GM car is that ? Are they parking lights, or DRL's, or fog lights?

I know some older GM cars allow you to turn foglights on with parking lights on.

Last edited:
I know some older GM cars allow you to turn foglights on with parking lights on.
Ahh, you may be right there. Could be the parking lights are needed too, but I know I can turn my headlights off while keeping the fogs on.

Back