I think I must have seen a 2014.5 CX-5 today, no more gated shifter :)

lkh311

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. So today I went to a local dealer and saw a CX-5 equipped with a non-gated shifter with leather that looks like the one on the 6 or 3. It has the silver surround but no piano finish around it, and of course with 2 cup holders still without the center control dials. I think it is good because it doesn't show finger prints, but at the same time doesn't look as classy and modern as the 3 & 6. Exterior looks the same.

Last edited:
Maybe I am the only one, but I like the gated shifter. (drive2)

Who wants to take bets it was just a manual transmission equipped car?

CX-stick.jpg

Oh wow, thanks for the pics. A very nice a welcomed addition. Carry over from 2014 Mazda3 is a much needed improvement over the cheap plastic shifter and surround we have now.

I much prefer the gated shifter. It looks better and you can more easily tell where you are by feel.

Interesting, how does it go into manual mode? Paddle shifters too?

It looks like the "M" and +, - shift signs are still next to the "D". So I assume it is the same slide to the left while in drive for manual mode.

Dealers now have a new brochure for the "2014" (really a 2014.5). I have it as well as the old brochure (which as of this writing is still on the Mazda website). Yes, the gated shifter is gone and replaced with a "straight" shifter with a leather boot and a side gate for the "manu-matic" gear selector. There are also NO paddle shifters.

We have been shopping for a Grand Touring w/Technology and wanted a Stormy Blue one, but we just found out there are none left within 250 miles and that Stormy Blue is being discontinued and replaced with "Deep Crystal Blue Mica" (separately, another blue is being added, "Blue Reflex Mica", which is grey-ish and also on the Mazda3)

Other than the end of Stormy Blue and the new shifter, I understand that there are no other changes - no changes to the navi or infotainment, engine, etc etc

Well, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. I actually saw a picture of this shifter on the Mazda Japan website a few weeks ago and assumed it was a Japan only thing. It's odd they'd bother updating just the shifter and nothing else as a mid model year update, and even then, they don't issue a press release.

If you guys take a look, there's also a much larger nav screen shown in the picture as well.

ZX6rmyZ.jpg

The 2014.5 are out already?
I was shopping this weekend and there were already some more expensive versions and I didn't realized why. Maybe this is why, because it's end of year for the 2014 model and the 2014.5 are out.

Back