How to add LED to roof in the cargo area on 2012+ Mazda 5, should be same on older.

Great idea and mod. Vasy, since you seem to like to come up with realistic and functional how to's and mods. How about adding a 168 peanut bulb to the otherwise useless tailgate tail lamps. I've looked at mine and there seems to be a perfect square that can house a small peanut bulb and be used as a lamp. I'd love to to this but haven't figured out how to. Tapping into power can be done by splicing into the license lamps. Thoughts...?

How about adding a 168 peanut bulb to the otherwise useless tailgate tail lamps. I've looked at mine and there seems to be a perfect square that can house a small peanut bulb and be used as a lamp.

Which light do you mean? Wanna take a picture and point?
Do you mean for the reverse or some other reason?

Which light do you mean? Wanna take a picture and point?
Do you mean for the reverse or some other reason?

I am talking about the red lens part of the tailgate (inner) tail lamp. It would seem that there be a bulb in there but it's just a reflector. I am sure you can drill a hole and buy and adapt a grommet like bulb socket there. Sort of to continue the corner (outer) tail lamp scheme when the parking lights are on.

I am talking about the red lens part of the tailgate (inner) tail lamp. It would seem that there be a bulb in there but it's just a reflector. I am sure you can drill a hole and buy and adapt a grommet like bulb socket there. Sort of to continue the corner (outer) tail lamp scheme when the parking lights are on.

I looked it over the weekend, I'm sure it can be done. I found some rubber sockets that would take a T10 or T20 bulb or you can wire a brake/parking lights bulb as well.
I'm not sure I'll go ahead with this, maybe next summer, maybe never.

I need to do this. I upgraded to LED in the side light, but it seems I always end up loading something on that side of the hatch first, blocking all light for the rest of the time I have the hatch open!

And Vasy, do you remember what LED you used to replace the OEM trunk light bulb?

I did not use a big wire. The current draw is minimal, I believe it was just a wire I got splitting apart old network cable and using two of the wires inside.
I'd say 22-24 gauge will be good, bigger will work as well.
For the LED in the OEM socket I used what ever the replacement bulb fitting is 3022 type.

Back