TPMS and winter wheels

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
Is anyone else finding that their tpms keeps going off after changing to winter wheels despite several correct attempts at a reset? It happened last year and this. I reset it in the garage this morning on flat level ground before driving and 5 km later it went off again. All tires are at 34 psi. I hate it because even though I am 98% sure they are fine, I feel like I have to check them. Especially since they are wheels that sat in a stack in the garage for the past 6 months. Anyone else?

I won't put on winter wheels for another 6 weeks; not as far north as you.

But per the manual and other places, you should use higher tire pressure in the winter. Tirerack has a discussion about this you can read.

From the manual page 3-42:

Snow Tires
Use snow tires on all four wheels
Do not go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
while driving with snow tires. Inflate
snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
more than recommended on the tire
pressure label (driver's door frame), but
never more than the maximum cold-tire
pressure shown on the tires.

Good to know, thanks. I'd never seen that, or heard to inflate winter tires more than the vehicle spec.

I thought the TPMS system on our vehicles didn't measure actual tire pressure (we don't require those expensive transmitting valve stems), but instead used the ABS sensors to measure differential wheel speed between the low-air tire and the others.

Nodnerb, is your TPS alarm tied to wheel spin on icy surfaces by any chance? Or is one of your tires different (such as having more or less tread depth) than the others?

I thought the TPMS system on our vehicles didn't measure actual tire pressure (we don't require those expensive transmitting valve stems), but instead used the ABS sensors to measure differential wheel speed between the low-air tire and the others.

Nodnerb, is your TPS alarm tied to wheel spin on icy surfaces by any chance? Or is one of your tires different (such as having more or less tread depth) than the others?

Yeah, it uses wheel speed to determine a low tire.

No ice here yet. Dry cool roads. No spinning. All the same tires with the same life left in them. I'll bump the pressure up 5 lbs tonight though and reset in the morning and see if it goes off. We have a 3 hour road trip this weekend anyway so I'll get better fuel economy anyway.

Is anyone else finding that their tpms keeps going off after changing to winter wheels despite several correct attempts at a reset? It happened last year and this. I reset it in the garage this morning on flat level ground before driving and 5 km later it went off again. All tires are at 34 psi. I hate it because even though I am 98% sure they are fine, I feel like I have to check them. Especially since they are wheels that sat in a stack in the garage for the past 6 months. Anyone else?

The fact that you reset your TPMS in the garage and exit in the cold morning air might be your problem. From what I've seen here, the CX-5s TPMS seems very precise and sensible, so if your garage is heated to 20c (68F) and you exit at temps around 0c (32F, maybe even less), just the temperature drop is enough to lower your tire pressure by a non neglegible amount... As a rule of thumb, you lose 1 psi per 10F drop. By streching our example a bit, by exiting your garage you would lose roughly 40F of ambient temp, resulting in a loss around 4 psi over a couple of minutes. Tires don't tend to warm much in city driving... So by the time your tires go "cold", this pressure loss might set off the alarm...

Service manual indicates you may have to reset TPMS three times due to error correction logic for it to take effect...

Had to set mine once after switching to snows, drove for 20 minutes after that and haven't had a problem since.

Service manual indicates you may have to reset TPMS three times due to error correction logic for it to take effect...

Well this seems to make sense. Ive had to reset it 3-4 times within the first week of changing them but the past week or so it has been fine. No alerts. Thanks.

Back