Opening tailgate while engine running?

heather69

:
2013 CX-5
I've had my CX-5 for a year and love it for the most part. However, one thing that is really irritating to me is that the tailgate won't open while the engine is running. As a hockey Mom who sometimes has to drop kids off for games and practice without actually attending, it's a nuisance to have to turn the car off in order for the kids to get their gear out of the car. I've tried adjusting the lock options to not have the auto-locks applied when the car starts but that doesn't seem to work either.

This is a 6 sp MT as well.

Anyone know how?

Mine opens just fine while engine is running.
2014 Touring w/ Tech Package

That's because you've got an automatic that releases the gate when you put it in park. She's got a stick!

I've had my CX-5 for a year and love it for the most part. However, one thing that is really irritating to me is that the tailgate won't open while the engine is running. As a hockey Mom who sometimes has to drop kids off for games and practice without actually attending, it's a nuisance to have to turn the car off in order for the kids to get their gear out of the car. I've tried adjusting the lock options to not have the auto-locks applied when the car starts but that doesn't seem to work either.

This is a 6 sp MT as well.

Anyone know how?

Have you tried pressing the unlock button on the driver door when you stop to let the kids out? On my automatic it unlocks everything...

In my 6MT, I can open the rear hatch with the engine running when I apply the parking brake.

Owner's Manual:
"While the ignition is switched ON, the
liftgate can be opened only when the
vehicle is stopped with the parking brake
applied (manual transaxle), or with the
selector lever in the P position (automatic
transaxle)."

Back