Clunking in the dash

kevboy55

:
Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Sky Blue Mica
Has anybody had any clunking in the dash on the CX5? Mine is clunking like crazy, and it's driving me nuts.

Yep x2.

I'm not ruling out that it is something in the glove box though, and I'm not concerned enough to chase it down.

Try taking your sun glasses out of the sun glass holder.

OMG Yes.

I noticed this too shortly after purchasing my CX5. This is the most annoying thing in the world. I have not been able to find a way to *use* the convenience of the sun glass holder and not hear stupid sounds coming from it. Wrapping my glasses in cloth helps, but then its a fumble to get the glasses out.

Guh. /rant

OMG Yes.

I noticed this too shortly after purchasing my CX5. This is the most annoying thing in the world. I have not been able to find a way to *use* the convenience of the sun glass holder and not hear stupid sounds coming from it. Wrapping my glasses in cloth helps, but then its a fumble to get the glasses out.

Guh. /rant
+1

I have not been able to find a way to *use* the convenience of the sun glass holder and not hear stupid sounds coming from it.
I velcroed my garage door opener onto the inside of the plastic door. Works as well as the accessory Homelink mirror and no rattles!

I velcroed my garage door opener onto the inside of the plastic door. Works as well as the accessory Homelink mirror and no rattles!

But then you have redundant stuff! I use my homelink for my garage door opener, why do i need another garage door opener? >_<

clunking around

Has any one else had clunking in the dash? Is sounds as if something has been knocked ajar. Not like a normal Mazda rattle, but actual clunking around.

Try taking your sun glasses out of the sun glass holder.
This is what mine turned out to be. Odd, it sounded like it was coming from the glove box area, but once I read this I was able to track it to the sunglasses.

Has any one else had clunking in the dash? Is sounds as if something has been knocked ajar. Not like a normal Mazda rattle, but actual clunking around.
I have also had issues with clunking that is not related to the sunglass holder. It sounds like it's coming from the innards of the defroster. I don't hear it all the time, but it does seem to be more consistent when temperatures are below or near freezing.

This TSB for instrument panel rattle and creak noises really helps, I had it done on my 2013 CX-5.

I figured it out. For me it was most apparent when it got cold. It's definitely coming from the beam left of the windshield. The plastic padding got loose, and when it moves around it makes a clunky nose. It's hard to locate because it's close to the windshield and the sound is deflected. It stops if I jam it into place a bit, but I have to find a better way of stabilizing. Hope this helps.

I figured it out. For me it was most apparent when it got cold. It's definitely coming from the beam left of the windshield. The plastic padding got loose, and when it moves around it makes a clunky nose. It's hard to locate because it's close to the windshield and the sound is deflected. It stops if I jam it into place a bit, but I have to find a better way of stabilizing. Hope this helps.

I think you're referring to the A pillar.

You can pull the top portion of the pillar cover out about 1/2" (toward the passenger side) and then reseat it to see if that helps. There's a fastener that prevents you from pulling it out further without releasing a catch. The full width of the cover pulls away at the top, not just the corner that wraps around to the door molding.

Do you have a dealer installed auto-dim/home link mirror?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back