Are larger bumper/body gaps the norm for the CX-5?

fyi411

Hello folks,

Think I originally posted this question in the wrong sub-forum, so I figure this might be a better place.

Long story short, I've had my rear bumper taken on and off multiple times (maybe 6 or more) due to various accessory installation or repair work. I started noticing the gap between the rear bumper and the body was becoming more and more noticeable, with the bracket tabs increasingly visible.

At first I thought there was some early bumper sag going on due to fatigue in the mounting brackets, but I had a good body shop I trust take a look and actually replace the brackets (there some noticeable increased give on the originals) with OEM parts. However, the gap remains, and while there is basically little to no "give" between the rear bumper and body, I can still see the bracket tabs easily.

I took a quick visual survey of some CX-5's around my area, and the gap between the rear bumper and the body seems to run the gamut from almost flush with the body (on white colored CX-5's only for some reason) to gaps with somewhat visible bracket tabs.

I'm starting to wonder if the bumper or something else related was just re-installed incorrectly that might be leading to the gap/visible tabs I'm seeing.

Pic below (sorry for the poor quality, it has been raining non-stop the past few days):

Anyone else with a CX-5 have a easily noticeable gap with visible bracket tabs? Does this seem normal?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20130929_155129_943[1].jpg
    IMG_20130929_155129_943[1].jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 312
Well, as you say the pic isn't that great but something doesn't look right. I'm stating the obvious, but the fact you've had the bumper on and off so many times is the culprit. I was considering installing the OEM Mazda parking sensors in the rear bumper and found an online source that included a .pdf document of the entire install. I was shocked to see that the bumper is held on almost exclusively by clips and other plastic tabs. Suppose this is the way Mazda lightens the car to secure such great gas mileage.

I'd take the car back to your body shop and show them the gap. I'd also have better pics of other CX-5s that don't have the gap. Of all that I've seen, yours is the first.

As for my install of the pricey Mazda backup sensors? Nixed.

I'll try to get some better pics next week, but basically what you are seeing are the mounting bracket tabs in between the rear bumper and body.

I'm pretty positive it's not a bracket fatigue issue because when I push the bumper up into the body, it's obvious the bracket tabs are the thing preventing/blocking it from going flush. Why the gap and mounting bracket tabs are so prominently blocking it (on both sides) compared to other CX-5's I've seen (some better than others, with mine being on the more "gappy" side), I haven't the foggiest clue.

Anybody have any idea what maybe going on?

I pretty much don't put much trust in anything the mazda service center that botched up the bumper(s) (they went through 4 of them) in the 1st place since there was such a lack of quality control and every "scratch/off-set cut out/incorrect bumper mount blocking the rear hatch" was within normal tolerance levels according to them. And the reputable auto body place I had take a look at was kind of stumped as well.

I thought about having another mazda service place take a look at it, but it would have cost $300+ just to take it apart for an assessment, with no guarantee of a fix.

At this point, I'm hoping maybe someone on the forums with experience with CX-5's can shed some light on what's going on, maybe offer a fix/solution.

Thanks.

Back