Gas Pump Overfill

I was filling up my CX-5 this morning and had set the metal clip on the handle to autofill as I cleaned the windshield. I heard what I thought was the pump clicking off. I returned to the pump only to see gas spilling out under the driver side rear wheel from what appeared to the an overfill. Apparently the mechanism on the pump that auto shuts off didn't shut off properly. Gas was spilling out for 5+ seconds before I was able to remove the nozzle.

Are there any potential issues that could arise from this? I've only driven about 10 miles since I filled up and there didn't appear to be any visible issues, but wasn't sure if there are any reasons to be concerned?

wash your car... very soon. The gasoline might also strip any wax off the car.

On old cars, you could damage the emissions canister filter on the EVAP system.

For most modern car designs, emissions canister damage is practically impossible trough overfilling, dispite the loads of misinformation you find on the Internet about this. This is because most EVAP systems (those I've seen anyway) vent at the fill pipe opening or some other place away from the gas, so you can't get gas in the canister... I havn't seen schematics for the CX-5, but I think I saw what looks like a vent hole near the fill pipe opening the other day.

Conclusion, wash you car, don't worry about this too much, and avoid the auto-fill clip (for all sorts of other reasons as well).

Thanks for the information. I forgot to mention that I did immediately go to a car wash to wash off the spilled gasoline. I've never had a problem with the auto-fill clip in 20+ years of owning vehicles, but I will never use it again.

Back