How to change foglight bulbs.

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
No need to jack up the car, remove foglight housing, nor remove the fender liners completely.

Crawl under the front under the corner of the bumpers. In front of the front wheel aero flaps, you will see THREE screws. They look like 10-12mm (didn't care to find out) hex bolts with option to use a philps head screw driver. I used a philps head.

-Remove three screws on each side.
-Pull fender/splash liner down slightly
-Fit your hand inside and reach for the back of the foglight
-Remove the connector for the bulb, which is pinch and pull down perpendicular to the ground.
-Twist the foglight bulb from the housing (forgot direction) and remove.

Installation of new bulb is self explanatory.

I swapped BOTH my foglight bulbs yesterday in completely darkness using a dying flashlight and a philps screw driver.. All done within five minutes.

Last edited:
Nokya 2500k yellow bulbs. They're 65W H9, which i spent some time converting to H11 to fit the housing. Why H9? 2100 lumens instead of the H11's 1350 lumens. More usable light, though not a significant difference with our turd housings. No fear of melting harnesses and housing either, granted it says "65W".

Why H9 instead of an HID kit? Because I have a 35w HID kit in my RX-8's foglights which are EXACTLY the same housings in the CX-5. The lighting benefit (or the lack of) isn't worth the extra money and additional components. Plus, it would require one to remove the bulb glare shield/caps in the housings which I am too lazy to remove for the CX-5.

Why H9 instead of an LED unit? No LED (including CREE's) units provide usable light, unless you go with VLED's 1800LM fan cooled unit's which are on back-order and will cost over $100 for a kit. All LED units would require removal of the bulb cap/shield for fitment and lighting.

I also wanted to see how I like the yellow bulbs to match my Tech Pack OEM HID's and white LED switchback corner lights. If I don't like them, then I'll go back to stock H11 or have 5000k colored Hoen H9 bulbs to match my corners and headlight. All done for cheaper than a reputable HID kit or LED units.

Last edited:
Back