Upgrading to a Keyless Door Handle button

L5hands

:
Mazda cx-5 2013
I am the new owner of a pre-owned 2013 CX-5. It does not have an entry button in the door handle. I see that some 2014s do have this option. People in the dealership seem to have no idea if my car could be upgraded with this option. I would think that all that would be needed would be the parts a new handle with the button, and possibly a new wiring harness. This assumes that the computer could handle this upgrade. I have not been able to figure out part numbers for these parts. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible and/or what parts are needed??

I don't know for sure, but my experience has been that the CX-5 is very upgrade friendly. I added heated mirrors and a remote starter and they were both basically plug and play (with a fair amount of prep work) because the wiring harnesses are already there waiting for you. I'd be willing to bet that this would be no different.

FYI, the "keyless" door handles is ONLY on the Grand Touring with the optional GRAND TOURING TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE.

Your point? That's why its called an UPGRADE.

LOL, calm down, I didn't mean anything by it, just that it's an option only for the highest trim, so it'll be expensive for the parts, especially the remote itself.

No need for calming. Just trying to understand the point of your post since it appeared to be saying that it couldn't be done unless you have the GT. Thanks for the clarification.

I was wondering about doing this when I got my CX-5 and I asked a tech from this website http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/. What he replied was it cannot be done because it's only available when they build the car, but yet the parts are there. I'm thinking the body shop must be able to do it after the car say in an accident or something. Something to think about.

Ok -- that is the question --my car does have a "key less" entry/push button start -- I figure the parts are available, (door handle w/button, and a wiring harness) even though I really couldn't figure out exactly which ones were needed -- Once again can the "computer system" deal with the "upgrade"?? No doubt it might be expensive.

From the website I posted you can see which parts you need and from the technical manual listed in the how to section in this forum you can see where the censor need to be. Also the hard part maybe to program the computer to sense the remote when you're in the zone. Maybe TreyP can check this out, you seem good with figure out the car wire system. Could be a good project to see if it's possible :)

I doubt you have to reprogram the unit. My guess is it is a plug-in upgrade that will work out of the box.

I would be for the remote start if the engine didn't quit when the door opened.

Typically the vehicle needs a proximity receiver to communicate with the fob when it gets close to the drivers door. This is a separate receiver to the one in the cockpit that acknowledges the fob being present to start the car. In looking at the two wire diagrams in the links below, it does not appear to be plug and play, and appears that the vehicle does have two completely different harness. When the harness is different, you may have a whole lot of communication issues with the Network that may simply not be possible. Remember when you unlock the doors currently, the fob sends a message that unlocks the doors, turns on interior lights and flashes the yellow markers. This is very complex programing and manufacturers do not pass this capability on to dealers. The wiring diagram for the advanced keyless entry can be viewed at the two below. The advanced system has several antenna left/ right and rear to acknowledge the presence of the fob. The second link is for the basic system that you have. It is far less complex. If you notice at the top, it runs to the BCM (Body Control Module), so this would be a costly endeavour if it would work at all. Even if you replaced the BCM, the more complex one will be looking to communicate with features that your car does not have and will most probably trigger trouble codes. ( Not covered under warranty by the way)

To reduce miles of wires, today's cars use a network to speak between the switch and the component that you want to turn on/off. Example is if you turn on the wipers, the switch triggers the BCM to send out an "email" to various components that are wired together. Like an email to "all" in your office, only the person who needs to action the request will take action, the others will read it and delete it. Hence the components that receive the email that are not wipers delete the message and only the wipers come on. Yes Bill Gates is in Control of your car!

Hope this helps to understand the system.

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emaz.../SM/2013/CX5/mv/books/mvd09/html/0914_2b.html

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emaz.../SM/2013/CX5/mv/books/mvd09/html/0914_1d.html

Back